Does the new EV12L Classic Reissue fit on standard speaker mounts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blueser, May 20, 2008.

1. Blueser

Blueser Member

So a ways back, I had a vintage EV SRO, and the posts in my cabinet did not line up with the holes on the speaker, but they fit my Celestions fine.

I have been contemplating putting a new EV12L Classic Reissue speaker in a 1x12 which has the standard Celestion 4 post setup, and was wondering if the EV12L will fit without any modification?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    B

2. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I'm not real sure about the holes but make sure the baffle can support the weight. 20lbs is a lot o' speaker!

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'm currently having the same problem with my SROs.

In the Rivera cabs the speakers are attached with screws that go into pre-drilled holes and while Celestions are fine, the SROs don't line up. Any suggestions regarding how I should mount my SROs properly?

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

Do you think a standard pine or birch ply baffle would not be able to support a 20 lb. speaker?

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

Just twist the speaker a few degrees and make new holes.

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Yes....Fixing a problem is pretty straight forward. I want to know if there will be a problem mounting them on the standard posts.

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

What do you mean by standard posts. #10 of #12 sheet metal screws work very well. If you want to go beyond that you can use pound in or screw in inserts. Top of the line would be Hurricane nuts.

8. Mikey01

Mikey01 Member

Two fixes here, though not easy. Remove old speaker and nip off mounting screws. Measure out the cabinet and buy a piece of 1/2" plywood. Cut new diameter hole. Then lay SRO speaker in place and mark off mounting holes and drill. Counter sink the front holes just enough to allow a round headed screw and a sizeable washer. With the heavier weight of the SRO's plus it's vibrations, when played, you don't want any "pull through" from the mounting screws so that's why the counter sinking for large washers is done.

Or you can bypass the counter sink of the new board and dremmel out the existing inside sound board so the new sound board will fit flush against it with the screws and washers in place. Either way will do. Now moubt the SRO.

Next you paint a coat of "Weldwood" contact cement on the back of the old cabinet sound board. Lay the new one on top and align if nessessary. place some additional weight around the back of the speaker or even on top of it's magnet. Wait about overnight or 5ish hours. Yer done. Mounted AND reinforced.:hiP

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

In many Fender amps and I am sure on others, you can unscrew the mounting screws but be careful because they usually have reverse threads and you can crack out the hole if you uscrew them the usual way so go slowly at first to see if you are screwing them in or out.

Cutting a speaker hole in a baffle is very difficult without the right tools so I would avoid that if possible. If you go that route, I would use the thickest plywood that you could get to fit the cab if I was using an EVM.

10. Blueser

Blueser Member

OK...>While I appreciate the responses, we are getting a bit off track here. The question is......

Do the holes on the new modern reissue of the EV12L Classic line up with standard mounts such as Celestion, Weber, Tone Tubby, etc.?

I am going to try to call EV now to see if I can get an answer from them.

Thanks again,
    B

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

Well...I just got off the phone with EV, which is now owned by Bosch Communications. The technical support staff was of no use whatsoever! This guy could not tell me the dimensions, or whether it would fit a standard mount.

I guess the only thing to do is to buy one and try it out. :rolleyes:

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I just recently went through this.

I can answer all your questions and point you in the right direction.

#1 The EV 12L Classic will fit other speaker holes. There is a slight difference but they will work.

#2 Though they will work I suggest you use all the holes on the EV (it's heavy).

#3 I found the EV folks or corperate people I talked to, not to know very much and unable to point me in the right direction.

#4 I also found many of the suggested (from them) dealers not to know their but from a hole in the ground. I let them know this BTW.

#5 I found the place to get them and these folks know what they are doing. When you call them they will talk to you freely (not rushed) and can answer any questions you have.

Here is the Contact Info

http://www.aiconsol.com/

Phone Number as well

800-635-15458 am to 4:30 pm PST M-F

Ask to speak to Cindy and tell here Greg Beasley sent you.

I got my Speaker from them quickly. After my intial contact with Cindy, she called me back on the phone and let me know when it was shipping then later called me again and said it had indeed shipped and told me if I need anything or should have any problems let her know.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Alos BTW this speaker is a great speaker to me it sounds better than an original.

14. Blueser

Blueser Member

This is great! Thanks very much for this info. Do you really think that the EV will require being mounting by all of the screw holes to be secure? That seems a bit excessive. The target cabinet would have a 11 ply marine grade birch baffle, which is pretty rigid.

Customizing this may be more work than it's worth!!

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well it cant hurt to use them. As long as your using machine screws into threaded inserts it should be OK. I'd keep them very tight (you dont have to worry about over tightening an EV).

You could always just use wood screws in the extra non inserted speaker holes.

The thing to remember is it's a 20 pound speaker. If your loading your rig up for " the road " you'll want all the screws in it. If it's gona set in your bedroom it shouldnt matter.

One thing to consider is one good hard bump and you could have a broken cab.

I must say again though I just freakin love this speaker. Gonna have to order another one soon.

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

Boogie put their EVMs in with 8, basically self tapping screws. I have had a 100 watt MKIIC+, one MKIIC+ Simul Class and a MKIII Simul Class, all with
    EVMs done this way and none of the speakers ever came loose.

17. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I've got 2 zakk EV's in a front loaded cab that had to be routed out to even drop them all the way in. Drilled new baffle holes and used bolts with washers and nylock nuts... They aint goin nowhere...