• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Does the old Boss CS-2 stack up?

Pure_Phase

The CS-2 is a pretty sweet pedal, and I do regret selling mine years ago. Is it still relevant? Absolutely, and it imparts it's on sonic signature, that's for sure. It's not a very transparent pedal at all, so if someone want's transparency they may want to look elsewhere. Just like a Dynacomp has it's own thing going on, it's not better or worse, just different.

FWIW, if I could pick up a CS-2 again for a reasonable price I would in a heartbeat.

Daytona57

I have had a CS-2, for a long time and it was sitting in the case. One day, I decided to put it on the board with a Diamond compressor, for slide.

I was surprised, how well they sounded together, with the Diamond compressor after overdrives and the CS-2 at the end.

YMMV

Hot_Rolls

It’s definitely my favorite, it’s just got this feel that’s hard to describe, it’s definitely old school, adds some color but is pretty subtle at moderate compression levels. The attack knob at its slowest (all the way right) helps it feel more natural.
I have not tried the origin Cali 76 , have used 1176 extensively in studio. I have tried xotic, Diamond, keeley, jhs and Analogman squeezers, the Boss cs-2 is what I’m using these days, love it

Trending Topics