does the subdecay liquid sunshine also function as a clean boost??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, Feb 26, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

well?? i really want one, but I only have space for one more drive pedal and it needs to cover clean boost.

I like the LS because it seems a lot more versatile than that, but if it covers clean boost duties as well, then that seals the deal.

So any LS owners care to chime in?

2. readymade

readymade Supporting Member

I just got mine, but haven't really tried it as a clean boost. The two drive knobs seem very interactive with the volume, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to get an absolutely clean boost. There IS a ton of volume on tap, though.

What other dirt pedals are you running? The LS just kicked the Tim off of my board (it'll return at some point I'm sure, but the LS is a great sounding low to medium gain crunch box).

3. erksin

erksin Member

Not really it's forte IMO.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Basically I'd be using it to even out the volume on my fuzzface when i roll down the volume knob on my guitar.

I'm debating whether or not I want totally clean boost or if some light drive will help out my rhythm tone with my guitars volume down.

5. PlumBob

PlumBob Member

I agree. It sounds best when it's adding a little grit, sparkle, and thickness to a clean amp. I've tried using mine to just boost into my 5E3 type amp and have not been that pleased with the result.

But it does sound great in general with the drive turned down pretty low. More of a dirty boost than a clean one.

6. supar6

supar6 Member

I don't exactly use it as a clean boost per se but I could easily see how you would want it on your board for that. The only difference being it can also act as an overdrive as well. Extremely versitile pedal that in my opinion can be tuned to match any clean boost/overdrive desired.

I'll put it this way - I use it with my Top Hat Emplexador and it's the ONLY anything/boost pedal I have. Doesn't take anything away from your tone. Great bang for the buck and belive me I've been through several.

7. john b

john b Supporting Member

I've had one for only a short time but don't really think of it as a clean boost. Much more of an od pedal. It can do a clean boost thing but it's not as transparent as many pedals that are just boosts seem to be.

The interaction of the two gain knobs is pretty cool and the thing I really like about this pedal is the way it stacks with other pedals. It's like getting a third new pedal out of a combo of two. Way cool! It really gets a whole different voice. The LS and OCD is a killer combo. If you're looking for an od pedal with a boost, I'd go for a Zvex BOR. The boost is great on that pedal and can be used independently of the distortion.