Does the Tim sound better than the Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TreyD0g, Feb 24, 2009.

1. TreyD0g

TreyD0g Member

i'm sure this question has been asked many times, but i'm very interested in getting either the tim or timmy. i'm leaning towards the timmy because i like the compact size and probably wouldn't use the effects loop or boost function that often with the tim. but i've heard that the tim sounds better. so, what do you guys think i should do?

2. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Supporting Member

the Tim has more gain.

3. TreyD0g

TreyD0g Member

a significant amount more?

4. acwild

acwild Member

I think you need to consider whether you're going to stack this pedal as well. If so, the increased gain may not be a factor.

5. TreyD0g

TreyD0g Member

i will definitely be stacking it with atleast a ts9 (silver mod)

6. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

I've had 3 Tims and 2 Timmys and they have all sounded great. There really isn't much difference in tone. Go for functionality when deciding between the two. I keep a Timmy on each board and decided to keep those because of pedalboard space. They are slightly different in function, but since you have a TS already, I recommend just a Timmy. Running the TS before it as a lead boost works good and adds some compression which the Timmy doesn't have. You can't go wrong with either pedal.

7. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

I think Paul once described the Timmy's gain as going from 1 to 15 (because of a different value gain pot) and the normal section of the Tim going from 1 to 10, but with the boost engaged its now 1 to 30. Also the Timmy has dip switches for assymetrical clipping which the Tim doesn't have but instead an effects loop and boost. With that said, I love my Tim and will never sell it (unless for a Timmy but I use the boost all the time and don't worry about board real estate...yet) Don't let what people say affect your decesion; they're both great pedals.

8. TreyD0g

TreyD0g Member

i emailed paul about being added to the list.

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had a Tim for about a year then got an Ethos sold I sold a Tim and a Kot. Still have the Ethos but missed the always "on" aspect of teh Tim so I bought a Timmy just for that purpose.

I love what Paul's pedals do to the basic tone, they are the greatest stacking pedal I have ever used.

10. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

I've had two of each...I found my Tim to be much smoother than my Timmys were.

11. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Me too.

12. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Had a Timmy for several years and just recently got a Tim. I much prefer the Tim...it is just a bit sweeter sounding.

13. TreyD0g

TreyD0g Member

hmm..so it's true, many people do think the tim sounds better. well, i put in an order for a Timmy. if i decide i'd rather have a Tim i can always upgrade.

Edit: actually i went ahead and changed my order to a TIM. it's only $40 more so i mind as well go for it. and i can always trade it for a timmy + cash on here if need be.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  14. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Paul C even told me there's a quality to the Tim that the Timmy does not have and has tried to figure out.

15. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, smoother's the word I'd use for TIM. Mind you, both my Timmys are the old version w/4 rather than 6 clipping diodes. The extra 2 apparently add 'smoothness'.

TIM's just better sounding, tho'; more 'open' somehow, easier to 'dial-in' IMO. Having the boost function (and loop) also very useful for me.

However, there's a certain raw, edgy quality to Timmy that you can't quite dial in w/TIM

Best to have both, if possible. They're so frikkn cheap - I paid 200 for the pair, shipped. but that was a few years back. Keepers. forever.

16. TreyD0g

TreyD0g Member

hmm...i find that pretty interesting. i think he should either raise the price of the TIM or lower the price of the Timmy, because if the Tim does in fact sound smoother and has more functions, then it is worth more than $40 more than the Timmy.

17. Jack

Jack Member

He told me that too when I ordered that the timmy gets you like 95% of the sound quality of the Tim. I can't tell the difference-other than when the aforementioned features (assymetrical, boost, etc) are activated. I mean, if the designer/builder doesn't hear much difference, we're probably going to hear less.

18. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

I just ordered a TIM directly from Paul. Sadly the pedal will not be ready to ship until June timeframe. There are some dealers that should have shipments as early as March; however, he was not sure if the dealers have waiting lists as well. Paul mentioned that he will be working on a 12 year anniversary TIM pedal that will be available in the August timeframe. He will primarily be moving the effects loop in front of the pedal to provide more flexibility with tweaking the overall volume of the stacked pedals. Paul is a great guy. Very helpful and appreciative.

19. TreyD0g

TreyD0g Member

june is not too bad, i was thinking it would take longer.

20. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

As other's have mentioned, the Tim might be a hair smoother than the Timmy. The difference is really negligible though (they are both great, low gain drive pedals with a deep, open sparkle). If I were you, I would decide based on your needs- do you need it with the boost?