• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Does this ‘86 Fender 57 reissue seem right to you?

radcliff

Finally found one of these Corona 57 reissues - I was excited about the nitro paint but does this seem right? I don’t know if a refin situation is happening here or if it’s a completely wrong body - no date codes to be seen.

LBXPDX

86 is an interesting year as there was really limited production. The worm route looks correct, the neck pocket looks kinda shifty. What do the curves look like? IIRC, it should have Fullerton curves vs Corona curves.

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
Looks about right to me. I have the '86 Sunburst re-issue. The neck pocket does look weird. Maybe somebody sanded it out at some point and it was a different color underneath. Since it's a black guitar maybe it started its life as a sunburst that didn't turn out and got sprayed black at the factory.

radcliff

I’ve got some additional pics - it seems to me that it’s a nice 86 but was refinished at some point with poly.

radcliff

The body is legit but that’s black poly paint over CAR nitro.

Fender was indeed using nitro on their vintage 57 reissue series out of the Corona plant.

radcliff

It’s hard to show in photos but those are not nitro checking cracks - they are bubbled lines that come up off the surface - so there’s a raised texture to them, unlike typical checking.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
It’s hard to show in photos but those are not nitro checking cracks - they are bubbled lines that come up off the surface - so there’s a raised texture to them, unlike typical checking.
That's what makes me think it's the nitro underneath still gassing out... not an expert opinion tho, just a hunch.

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Cool guitar, I prefer aged Oly White over black but for the right price...

Ampegged

Silver Supporting Member
Finally found one of these Corona 57 reissues - I was excited about the nitro paint but does this seem right? I don’t know if a refin situation is happening here or if it’s a completely wrong body - no date codes to be seen.

Is that gold (or is that just bare wood) underneath the black paint that is "pushed back" there at the top of the neck pocket? Is that red in the bottom of the neck pocket? If so, as mentioned looks like it was candy apple red at one point??
I have a black 86' 57RI (killer guitar) & the pickup cavities & all the routing is painted black as well, with no markings of any kind. The neck on mine is a small/thinner C shape, not a V shape like you see on later models. Very comfortable IF you like small/thinner necks, which I do.
I'll dig up some pics this evening & we can compare notes.

Trending Topics