• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Does this exist? A boost/light OD with sag control and compression

ari

I love my current OD, Menatone Kar Krash, for its feel and tone, but it doesn't have enough gain and I wish if this pedal had the sag control that his other pedal has. The note attacks sound great, don't get me wrong -- particularly for rhythm playing. The pedal simply doesn't mush. But I'd like more sag when I go into single-note leads.

So I thought, if I had a boost which allows me to add sag (ideally, I can control how much) -- then it may be the ticket! In the other words, I'm really not looking for a completely clean or transparent boost -- something that lets me sag the attack and perhaps add sustain (mild compression) or give me that "pushed" feel.

So far Durham Sex Drive seems like the closest thing, though its attack control is a 3-position switch, not a knob. Tone Press may do it, too, though its "color" control (which it says will make the attack looser for more vintage feel -- is that true?) is an internal trim pot so it really isn't inconvinient. Plus, a full-fledged compressor is probably an overkill -- what I want is a sag and sustain, not squash.

Barber Small Fry, which I just sold, had a "note shape" trim pot inside -- I am guessing if Tone Press' color is similar -- that had some subtle effect on whether that pick attack was focused or loose. The thing I did love about that pedal was precisely that amp-like sag, but again, it's not very ideal if the main control I'm interested in is the one inside.

So -- are there any other boost/low-gain pedals with sag control?

ari

Last edited:

Drifting

Fairfield Circuitry's 'Barbershop Overdrive' has a sag control and people seem to like it. It's a lighter overdrive as well. I have not played it, I'm only going off of what I have heard.

n.j.

I use the Menatone Foxy Brown for pretty much exactly that purpose. I turn the sag up all the way, keep the gain lowish and the volume high and use that either alone for a low gain volume boost or into a Lovepedal Eternity for more compression and sustain.

Great pedal.

ari

ari

I use the Menatone Foxy Brown for pretty much exactly that purpose. I turn the sag up all the way, keep the gain lowish and the volume high and use that either alone for a low gain volume boost or into a Lovepedal Eternity for more compression and sustain.

Great pedal.
The thought has crossed my mind, as that's the only Menatone small-form pedal with sag control.

How is it when the sag is down all the way?

ari

n.j.

With the sag all the way down it still sags a little bit, but it's much more present and immediate. With the sag all the way up, the way I use it, the pedal is thicker and louder in addition to being spongy and "amp-y."

The thought has crossed my mind, as that's the only Menatone small-form pedal with sag control.

How is it when the sag is down all the way?

ari

Trending Topics