Does this exist (metronome that auto-sets bpm for click)?

Does anyone make a metronome that can monitor music playing thru speakers, find the bpm and then start clicking at that bpm? Basically a click track that autom adjusts to what is playing? I often wish for this while practicing at home.

Doesn't matter if it's hardware or software. Either would work fine. I would want a headphone jack and the ability to adjust the volume of the click though. A bonus would be a nice selection of sounds to use for the click, but not necessarily required.

Anyone know of such a beast?

JonR

IIRC Riffstation does this (not the online version but the download version) - so I guess there should be other software that's capable of it.

But it's a lot easier (quicker anyway) to just use a normal metronome with a tap tempo function. Listen to the music, tap the beat, and the metronome will pick up the bpm. Or are you too lazy to lift a finger to tap a button in time? :)

The advantage with this (semi)human method is that you choose whether you want the click on quarters, 8ths, half-notes, whatever. And you can hear beats in music better than any software can. Some tracks can have syncopated rhythms that would confuse a machine but won't (or should not) confuse you. A machine can only pick up what it regards as significant regular pulses; in some cases, that might not be the correct bpm.

But it's a lot easier (quicker anyway) to just use a normal metronome with a tap tempo function. Listen to the music, tap the beat, and the metronome will pick up the bpm. Or are you too lazy to lift a finger to tap a button in time? :)

Asking snarky questions that presume lazy motives strikes me as lazy thinking, but maybe that's just me.

I know how to tap a tempo. But, lots of recordings (especially live ones predating common usage of click tracks) are not consistent throughout on bpm. So, just tapping in whatever bpm they were playing originally doesn't mean it stays in sync. Having a metronome that constantly resampled the music to fine tune the bpm would be useful for such.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for this thread. Just got tap that tempo plus, tried it on some live (voodoo dead). worked great and the metronome back was handy.

If you just want tempo detection the free is fine.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom