Does this Fender Strat exist somewhere?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rich2k4, May 7, 2015.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

I love the look of vintage strats, but hate many of the vintage style appointments. My friend has a Wildwood 10 strat that plays incredible but if I were to own it, it has some things that annoy me.

The problem is, a lot of the modern strats look worse to me. So I want to ask here in case there is something I am missing.

Is there a strat that:

- has a 10" radius

- 6105 frets

- tinted neck/headstock (I hate how american standards have that whitish headstock. Something about that tinted headstock looks very cool)

- Dark rosewood fretboard

- truss rod adjustment at the headstock instead of at the bottom of the neck. I don't want to have to take off the neck to make an adjustment.

- regular tuners, not the ones where you have to clip off the ends and feed the string through the top of the tuner. Very annoying.

- love the look of the aged pick guard, etc.

I'm not sure if there is anything that matches my criteria, and I would probably need to make a parts caster. I care about it being fender though.

Here is a pic of my friend's wildwood. I basically want this, with my modern appointments, but without the massive price tag.

[​IMG]

2. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

If you actually want to keep it rather than play it for a few months then try and sell it for 95% of what you have in it, just get any loaded body that aesthetically pleases you and plop on a Warmoth built to your specs.

You basically want a vintage-ish body with a modern neck.

4. Mr Analog

Mr Analog Member

A vintage hot rod 60s strat is almost what you want. It has 6105 frets, a tinted neck, 7.25" - 12" compound radius fretboard, locking gotoh vintage style tuners (string goes through the hole from the side, not the top) and most of them have a nice dark fretboard.

Potential deal breakers are 1) vintage truss rod with adjustment at the heel, 2) a modern two-point bridge and 3) mother of pearl dot inlays -- some folks have a strong preference for white micarta on rosewood.

5. newtech27

newtech27 Supporting Member

6. 1224 Lee

1224 Lee Member

Other than the 10 inch radius you've just described the strat on the left - USA Deluxe. The most current edition deluxe has the compound radius neck which might do exactly what you want. Want even more then the Custom Shop deluxe or Custom Shop Pro (as in prototype) might be of interest.

7. Leif Johan

Leif Johan Member

8. Leif Johan

Leif Johan Member

9. straycat113

straycat113 Member

You don't talk about what kind of pups you prefer so it makes it a bit difficult. Your best bet is to try a few modern Strats and then just mod the parts you want to change, which will cost you a hell of a lot less then ordering a CS model. Just looking over my 5 Strats none of them have vintage specs and I haven't owned one with them in over 20 years. Also they all bring something unique and different to the table in the tone department.

Unless someone owns a vintage Strat or Tele it boggles my mind that Fender just doesn't phase out vintage truss rods and the torture of having to take the whole neck off the guitar. The only guitar I have to adjust the truss rod this way just happens to be my #1 Tele and it is a pain in the a##! Having to wait a day to see if everything settles right and then usually always having to make another adjustment. I just did a Google search to see if there were any benefits of having the TR in the heel and looking over old forum threads from different sites the overwhelming majority couldn't think of any and just about everyone hates it. The exception being 2 to 3 guys on each old 'The GP threads' who believe= It gives the guitar a better tone lmfao.

10. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Just a plain AmStd gets pretty close.

The neck and pickguard will darken over time.

11. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I would love it if Fender used vintage tuners on their American Standard Strat. ;)

12. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

This!

I have a 2008 AmStd, sunburst and I changed the pickguard for a mint green (it looks exactly like OP's middle one).

The neck looks darker than newer strats but lighter than older ones, so yes just let it age and you'll be there! Neck radius is 9.5" though, but I'm not sure you can really tell between that and 10" (at least I can't, used to have an EJ sig with a 12" neck and to me they felt identical in terms of radius)

13. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

What is your budget. That can always help the peanut gallery better focus an answer.

14. rufedges

rufedges Member

Yup, budget is a big factor. You could try a Nash S63 with a boat-neck.....your description sounds real close to their formula.

http://www.nashguitars.com/

But, be advised, it's probably a minimum of 3 month wait for a custom order.......3 months has come and gone on my order, I'm hoping it's less than 5 months total......I was told 2-3 month wait, but you have to have patience with custom builders.

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/nash-guitar-custom-build.html