Does this goldtop exist?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MagicNelson, Jul 20, 2008.

1. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

I've been wanting to add a '54 goldtop reissue to my stable, but I just can't get used to the huge necks. I'm looking for a goldtop that:
    -Has a wraparound tailpiece
    -A slimmer neck (not as thin as a 60's les paul neck but not as fat as a Nocasters..Somewhere inbetween would be nice)
    -Either P90s or Buckers...I'm partial to P90s though.

Anyone know of any that fit this criteria? :munch

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

was posted on an other thread,

[​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Tokai-Love-Rock-LS160S-LP-P90-Gold-Top-Nitro-H-C_W0QQitemZ320274472666QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

my experience with tokias is not very good, people say the ones built in Japan are very good, the ones I have seen in the US stores and owned were CRAP

If your looking for a Gibson reissue your going to have the 50s rounded which I hate as well, my LPs are 60s slim which I love, but you said you did not care for, not sure what the neck on the tokai is like.

3. MagicNelson

Yeah I saw that, but it doesn't have a wrap around tail piece. I'm addicted to wrap arounds on Les Pauls after buying a junior years ago. They make the guitar sound so much better to me. Thanks, though.

Tell me more about the '50s rounded, please. And yes, I'm looking to stay with Gibson.

4. MagicNelson

So I guess it doesn't exist? :(

5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I don't know if they exist. I say buy the 54' and have a luthier/tech shave the neck.

That's just me though...

6. MagicNelson

That's a good idea. Never really thought about that. What would something like that cost?

7. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I have a '99 R7 that has a neck no bigger than a current R9. Definitely bigger than the slim 60s neck like on my '01 Classic, but nowhere near as big as most R8s and newer R7s I tried. They exist, but they are harder to find. Some dealers will let you know if the neck runs smaller than usual.

8. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    You might have to look for one of those R0's that GC had made for them - they had gold tops done for them - that would get you the neck your looking for then all you have to do is get another tailpiece for it - and wadda ya know, your done.

9. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I know that R4's aren't falling off the walls of music stores, but have you tried a few different ones? The neck on my R4 is quite a bit smaller than the one on my R9, which is supposed to have the smaller neck.
    My R4 is pretty much my number one guitar. Great look, feel, and tone.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  10. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

There was a limited run a few years ago of R6's and R7 with smaller necks...no R4's that I know...sorry.

Just get a nice R4 and a package of sandpaper!!!

11. ahab

ahab Member

Honestly, I would do as others have suggested and try to find one that you like. The problem with having someone shave down a neck is that you might not like the shape after they are done. Just a thought.

12. MagicNelson

Thanks for all the input. I think I tried one of those R0's at GC one time. The neck was way too thin and the pups (buckers) sounded really harsh. Here's a pic of the one I played (except it had "1960" written on the pickguard):

[​IMG]

I've only been able to play two R4s and they both had baseball bat necks. I guess I should just keep looking until I find *the* one. Thanks alot guys.

13. 3th3r

3th3r Member

The pic above is not the GC R0. The R0 is Gibson Custom model, plaintop, burst. The pic above is Gibson USA Les Paul Standard with "1960's" neck profile. (Edit: on second look it might be an LP Classic.)

14. 3th3r

3th3r Member

I agree with paintguy about buying an R4 and having the neck shaved. Take it to a local luthier with a guitar whose neck you like. He should be able to match the profile very closely.

15. MagicNelson

Does the R0 have P90s in it?

16. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think Wilcutt and Center City Music have R7 wraptails. Check 'em out.

17. MagicNelson

Link?

18. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

I would pick a cheap and common R6 and convert it to a 54, refin the top, reshape the neck and you d have a really cool and personal GT shaped and aged as you wish it to be.
    Keep in mind that re shaping the neck of any Historic will greatly affect its resale value anyways. 99% of people looking for a 54 dig the fat neck.

19. playon

playon Supporting Member

+1 - have it cut down to your specs, and finished with nitro.