Does this look like a recovered gibson discover?

raildog

does this look like a recover, i bought this amp today and thought it was all original but after pulling the chassis, the cab looks all original but not sure about the covering now, any info greatly appreciated.Scott

CthonicEwes

What year is it? Has to be post 62 to fit that covering, I think. But I'm not an expert. What I'm trying to say is that if you can date it to '62 or earlier then I would venture that the covering is not original. The brass corner bumper is definitely not original.

Scumback Speakers

Gold Supporting Member
That's a 63 or later Gibson cloth, so it's right. 62 had the creamy white paper covering (looked like a yearbook cloth).

Gris

I have a '64 Gibson head that has that same covering. My '61 Discoverer has the thin off-white fabric wall-paper stuff on it.

skeeterbuck

That's a 63 or later Gibson cloth, so it's right. 62 had the creamy white paper covering (looked like a yearbook cloth).

I have a Vanguard GA 77RVT-L that I thought was a 62 but it has brown tolex covering. It's one of the Crestline series.

Did they use more that one type of covering in 62?

Gris

My GA8 Discoverer has no tremolo. It's the 2x6V6 in parallel, 12AX7 (or whatever you want to use) and 5Y3 recto one. Orig speaker was a Jensen P12S (i hate those barky lil silver speakers, but harp players love em - go figure). Your Fender spkr is obviously not orig equip, LOL, but anything is better than what Gibson put in there.

Trending Topics