• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Does this look strange...or am I just too picky??---need advice please

TREV FLINT

I have a 52 Hot Rod Tele that I purchased new about 2 years ago. She plays great and feels great but there is something about the look that has always bothered me.

first..... the bridge is not centered between the pickguard, and either the bridge or pickguard is slightly crooked.

then...........the fret dots are not centered between the D and G strings. I have adjusted the saddles and reset the neck so that the strings are centered over the dots at the bridge, but as they get closer to the headstock they really fade off to one direction. (The nut seems to be centered at the head stock fine).

Have a look at these pictures and tell me what you think.

Obviously the playability of the guitar doesn't seem affected, but I am a bit of a perfectionist, and visual things like that bother me.

Thanks.

ganzosrevenge

We need more pics, but my strat's bridge is VERY slightly off, it doesn't affect intonation or tone at all. the only thing is it leaves a small hole not covered by the bridge's baseplate, however she's a helluva player.

As for the dot, look at the position of the G-string in its saddle... it's not in its notch! put it in its notch and see if that "centers your G-string problems.

TREV FLINT

Yeah, last time I had a setup done the tech filed that notch but I felt like it was filed to close to the D string so I kept it out of the notch. I find that It still doesn't help centering the dot near the head stock.

buddastrat

That looks fine to me from the pics. But remember the D string is much larger than the G and actually should be a little closer to the dot. But if your E strings aren't falling off the edge, and it intonates well, I wouldn't mess with it.

Maybe they just slapped the guard on and it's off.

If you're a perfectionist, don't play guitar! I know where you're coming from and it's taken me a long time to lear that like most things in life, it's all about compromise.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
If anything the strings in the saddles looks like they are moving from home base, which is common with this design. Callaham makes a nice set that speaks to this and also intonate better.

doublee

I think the dots are more of a string gauge and string spacing at the nut issue. My Martin has the same thing and I bet its only luck if any line up right in th center of the D&G. To get it perfect the dot would have to be off center and that would cause other visual problems, no?

keefsdad

That would bug me too, but if all else is well with the guitar-I'd just live with it.

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
It's supposed to be a '52 right? 'Nuff said . . . and who the hell is Nuf anyway???

TREV FLINT

Thanks for the reply's. I agree, nothings perfect. She feels nice and sounds great, thats really all that matters. I need to get over my perfectionism.

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I know what you mean though - as a builder stuff like that really messes with my OCD-ness. :rotflmao

Radspin

I own five Fenders and all of them are slightly different with respect to how the strings line up with the neck dots. I don't like the way that looks either, but they all play fine. I also have a Grosh Electrajet Standard, and the string/dot alignment on that guitar is perfect (the fit and finish on that guitar is superb).

What may have happened is the whole bridge plate rotated when the first fastener went in and the others are just snugged down but they're off center to the remaining 3 holes in the plate.

When you change strings next time, loosen the screws, reposition the plate and then retighten. Hopefully the plate with not be stuck to the finish.

Tonefish

I've never judged a guitar by either of those criteria...not to say you shouldn't care...but if it sounds great and plays well...just love it!!!

Polynitro

yeah to me it looks as if the bridge plate is not lined up properly with the string holes coming up from the back but it could be the pic...weird seeing all those phillips screws too

Trending Topics