• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Does this look weird to anyone else?

phatdave

Where is the Stmped serial number on the back of the neck?

It would take a lot of sanding to get rid of it!?

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I don't like the headstock. I also don't think Gibson used a flame finish on more than a handful of 70s deluxes either.

The no S/N thing really creeps me out though.

Broken Cord

I see the volute but I dont see the serial #

If they were going to sand and refinish the headstock you think they would do a better job and the strap button. Yeesh!

Flinto2002

I Don't see a volute (typical on 70's models) I don't see the larger headstock, typical on these models. I don't see a 3 piece neck(typical on 70's models) the flame finish in unusual, definitely don't see them much on delux's.

All the above, plus no serial number=weird feeling.

12guitdown

Gold Supporting Member
+1 for lack of serial#. Wassup wi dat?

Look at how far north the strings are from the pups. Mainly the fretboard close-up pic. The 6th string is riding the binding, where the 1st has a comfy 1/8". The bridge is obviously out of wack.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I dunno, it looks good to me but what do I know? Personally I wouldn't buy it without a serial number. It will be hard to re-sell for anything near what it is worth without it. From what he says it probably has a headstock repair. Also, I have never seen a 70's Deluxe with a flame top.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I dunno, it looks good to me but what do I know? Personally I wouldn't buy it without a serial number. It will be hard to re-sell for anything near what it is worth without it. From what he says it probably has a headstock repair. Also, I have never seen a 70's Deluxe with a flame top.
70s deluxe flametops do exist I've been shopping for deluxes for a few months now and seen several.

My general thinking is that this is a deluxe reissue from the past decade that was either stolen or damaged and the S/N removed.

Jura

looks legit to me..
don't know if it is from 70's (no volute, small headstock, ...), but it seems like a legit, neck and headstock refinished gibson..

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
The sticker with the serial number went missing. Its circa '76. The tuners are replacements.

Cody

Well, look who’s undead!
Did someone ask whether the serial# is indeed missing, or just photoshopped out?

In addition to all the observations about no pancake, no maple neck etc: the shape of the cutaway rules out late '70s (as the seller thinks), Gibson logo rules out '70s and '80s altogether.
It's '90s or newer.

Rock Johnson

Could be a really well repaired headstock break. I broke the headstock on my '74 LP and the luthier who repaired it basically planed off the back of the headstock and replaced it because it was so badly damaged. I didn't care about the SN so he didn't save it.

If something like that happened, then the neck was completely refinned, that could account for it.

Trending Topics