Does this make economic sense?

Go Cat Go!!

Absolutely not! I got the e-mail about the upgrade kits and just shook my head.

Having said that, I did buy an Affinity tele last week. Nice neck, the next day I upgraded the pickups to some Vintage Vibes I had in the parts bin. Also upgraded the electronics and added a 4 way switch. No money out of pocket. I bought the tele because I knew I had the parts already to make it a great player.

kingrazor

I'd rather wait and see what things I wanted to upgrade most on a cheaper guitar and then get those individually, picking what I want. Most cheap guitars benefit from upgrading to CTS pots (which are pretty cheap really) and a bone or graphite nut. If it needs more than that, it's probably better to just get a better guitar in the first place.

Guitarworks

No, not to those of us who are so heavily into gear
that we accumulate lots of spare everything and have no need for such a thing. But to someone not that far along with a kitchen table in an apartment and no fully equipped shop & stockpile of parts, who wants to get busy with a new rummage sale fixer-upper, it might be appealing.

skydog

Supporting Member
I'm not that familiar with the parts listed. Would this bring a Squier up to MIM quality?

wetordry

If you would jump at 220 for set of pickups for the squier, sure...makes perfect sense.
Mine got takeoffs for 0.

But I still like StewMac.

Gevalt

I can separately buy everything in that kit but the pickups for $150 USD
For this not to be a rip-off, the pickups would need to be worth more than $150USD on their own. I changed the slugs to A5 poles on a Squier for $20.

And Phil McKnight would shill gasoline even if he were on fire.

donnievaz

No way man! Take that $300, sell the Squier, and put it all towards a much better used guitar. That's not to say that a Squier's not decent, some are actually not bad. It's just not worth sinking that kind of money into it.

Trending Topics