does this power amp have to have a preamp to work? can you plug a pedal into it and play instead?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gishlullmoon, Apr 28, 2016.

1. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

2. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Most any power amp will work without a preamp. They just tend to be pretty noisy and quiet without one. In other words, it may technically work, but it might not be usable. Especially if it's only 3 watts to begin with.

A boost pedal kind of works like a preamp pedal, but may not give you enough volume by itself. You'd be best off using an actual preamp with it.

And any amp will color your tone. It's just the nature of the beast. Besides, electric guitars usually sound like thin metallic crap if they're played through too clean of an amp. That's why most players don't use hi-fi amps for guitars, even though they'll work (with a DI, of course). Though some amps will add a whole lot more color than others, and how much and what kind of color is up to you. But just know that the cleaner the amp, the more expensive it will tend to be, and the worse it will sound with an electric guitar.

On a personal note, I'd avoid a 3 watt solid state power amp. If you want a solid state power amp, I'd look for one with way more wattage than you need. Solid state watts are cheap, and you usually don't want a SS amp to clip on you, cause they usually don't sound good and they can destroy a speaker pretty quick, even if the speaker is rated for a higher output than the amp can provide. Plus it's a Russian transistor amp. I can't say for sure how it would sound without hearing it or seeing a schematic, but most of the electronic stuff coming out of Russia these days is put together from old, leftover parts made during the cold war. So it's likely a very old technology, and those old transistor based SS amps generally don't sound all that clean by today's standards. Of course I could be way off base here. And I do buy a lot of Russian stuff. Their microphones are great once you've replaced the preamps inside them with better electronics, and they make some great camera lenses, if you don't mind going full manual (no electronics). Definitely some of the best values around!

3. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

i think marshall makes good amps that basiclly just have a crunch to them, nothing to major colored...........

besides im looking to use smashing pumpkins pedals would a mg100hcfx be a good solid state amp to use with pedals??
    my raven amp is a 100watt solid state and the pedals (skreddy) i use are not able to work with the raven, it sounds wrong its like super distorted, i don't know why but the pedals won't work with the raven.

would my pedals work with the solid state marshall??? anyone use this mg100hcfx??? im not wanting to go tube imsick of trying to take care of tubes

https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/mg-carbon-fibre/mg100hcfx/

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If I were thinking of a SS Marshall, I'd find one of the 50w 112 combos from the 80s. They sound great, are as reliable as heck, not much else to say. My, who plays punk, and loves Smashing Pumpkins prefers his to my JCM800!

AS to using something like the AMT as an amp with just pedals, sure, no problem. But if I were doing that I'd get a used EHX 44 Magnum-more useful power for less money!

5. markedman

markedman Supporting Member

If a $100 pedal sounded great, I would sell my JP2C. WTF? My first amp was a tape recorder that I manipulated and it sounded great, but it didn't sound like my Mark llC++! If you get a good sound and you're happy then that is all that matters.