Does this sound right? (Supersonic amp problem or me?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockon1, Mar 15, 2008.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Heres a short clip of my Supersonic on the Bassman channel. The volumes on 4. Im playing my RG with a breed pick up in the bridge. Its most noticable when I dont dig into the strings as hard. I hear a buzzy(ratty?) kind of distortion on top of the notes-especially single notes. Maybe Im not used to pushing a clean channel? I usually just use OD channels for any type of distortion and keep the clean channel as clean as possible. FWIW-I noticed my Rivera Chubster has a similar rattiness to it when I try the same thing. Excuse the playing Im just trying to accentuate the sound-what do you guys think? Thanks Bob

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=84721&songID=6365347

2. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I'm not sure from the clip but I think hear a little of the harshness your talking about. You say your Rivera does the same thing. Have you tried other guitars?

Also, what speakers are you playing through? I know you have the head. I swapped out the V30 in my combo because I thought the cleans were harsh.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Using a 2x12 loaded with a G12H-30/G12-65. Great sounding cab. It doesnt matter what guitar I use its raspy on top-maybe worse with hotter pups like this RG has. Maybe Im not used to this type of break up? I dont know but I figured if I recorded it others might hear and know better than I. Just sounds kind of weird and buzzy. Im going to do something I wouldnt normally and go back and try all the original Sovtek pre amp tubes. I cant remember if it was this funky before I swapped them out.Bob

4. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Sounds like the EQ needs to be adjusted. I would bring down the bass some and bring up the mids maybe. The Supersonic can handle drastic EQ sweeps very well. I have my bass dumped on the overdrive channel (around 9 oclock). I keep the mids around 3 oclock and the treble at around 1 oclock. It sounds great there. Maybe dial back the gain a bit, too?

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Cant dial back the gain-its the clean channel at around 10 oclock. The OD channel never sounds that raspy. Just for kicks Im going to pull the Mullards and such and jam the Sovteks back in and try it.:messedup Bob

6. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

What kind of tones are you trying to get from the clean channel? I found the stock sovtek GTs sound great for a bit more headroom. If you're trying to draw the mots natural OD from the clean side, I can't advise. From what I've noticed, the clean channel doesn't break up nearly as nicely as the prosonic's did.

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

It could be cone cry. If both amps do it through the same cab then it's probably something to do with the speakers.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Basically thats what I want to know. Im really wondering if its normal for the clean channel to break up kind of ratty sounding. From what your saying it is. Ive read that some like the Bassman channel turned up to the break up point and wondered if my amp was messed up cause I think it sounds ratty. Its kind of a weird buzzy sound on top that kind of sounds like major fret buzz! I guess i'll stop wondering and go back to using the clean channels strictly clean. thanks Bob

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well same speaker type in the Rivera but different speakers(G12H-30 in amp and a G12-65 in an ext. cab) Not sure what cone cry sounds like honestly though. If you listen to the single note lines in the last part of the clip you can hear the fizzy buzzy sound on top I figured was some kind of ratty break up. I wasnt sure if it was "normal" though. Maybe that kind of "break up" needs stiffer speakers?-its pretty loud at that point. Bob

10. burner

burner Member

that's what it sounds like to me....