Does this speaker exist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dazco, Feb 26, 2012.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I love EV12L's and have used them for years. But at home i need a speaker that will breathe more at low volumes. At those levels the EV's cone barely even move and by the time it does and the tone starts happening it's much too loud. I do realize that nothing is going to sound like an EV, especially a low wattage speaker or any speaker that will do what i want. And i realize nothing will breathe well at low levels, tho i just want better, not absolutre. So i just want something that gets as close *as possible* to the EV's fast response and solid punch. The frequency curve can be different as long as it's a good fit within my style of music which is basically all sorts of popular music except metal, such as classic rock, blues, country, etc. I guess thats my way of saying no peaky or specialized sounding models like contemporary jensens, vintage 30's, etc.It is for a open back 1-12 combo by the way. No high end stuff please. Anything like this out there?

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I find the Eminence Swamp Thang to sound very natural and pure. No upper-mid or top-end emphasis like many Celestions, no low-end emphasis...to me it sounds most like the best old ceramic Jensens,w/o any of the piercing or other negative qualities. Works particularly well with "American sounding" circuits. And -- for a 150W speaker -- it sounds really good at moderate volume levels. Not real stiff, once broken in. I don't know how they managed to accomplish this. Definitely better in some amps than others, but it's become my favorite speaker, overall. While it's not expensive, it is large and rather heavy, as you'd expect for a speaker with a 150W rating. I can point out some youtube vids I've done with open back 1x12 combos if you need examples.

3. musicman1

musicman1 Member

This.

Once broken in, its great speaker especially for the price of around $90.00.

I have always liked the fat sound of the EV and the old PV Black Widow and this spkr rivals both but is still a bit lighter in weight. Great for open back 1x12 combos.

Depending on the amp though, I found the ST affected my od channels in a weird way. I originally bought this spkr to upgrade a newer PV Bandit and while it did have a positive effect on the overall clean sound of the amp, I had a difficult time finding an od that sounded really good. The amps od channel really became useless for me.

I found that TS style ods with a slight mid bump or real transparent ods like a Blues Driver and Rats sounded great while scooped mid ods were fizzy or buzzy.

Ive now reloaded this spkr into my old PV Special 130 and it absolutely loves the enormus output power that this amp provides. The amp sounds huge with a ton of clean headroom and volume. I like the tone at both reasonable practice levels as well as gig levels.

Im now considering a Avatar 1X12 extension cab w/a ST for bigger gigs to go with this amp.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  4. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I will pile on. I agree with previous posters. I was at the Redplate headquarters about a year back and Henry had a swamp thing in a cab. Very even and hi-fi sounding, but not sterile. I don't think the name describes the speaker very well/

I owned one and also jammed with a guy that a had a souped up deluxe reverb with swamp thing that sounded quite good

5. dazco

dazco Member

Interesting. How would it sound in a 2204 type circuit? (homebrew w more preamp gain than 2204...cold bias stage made into a normal 1.5k stage)
    Also, i know you guys said the tone is similar in that there are no peaks and all that, but how about the EV's punch and fast response? Is it closer to that than other speakers? Thats my main requirement. I'd even live with a peaky unique sound as long as it has the EV's immediate strong nature.

6. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I don't think there are many speakers that have such high rate of recovery as EVs except perhaps Fanes and Lansing type speakers. And these may come in lower Ws but are usually pretty loud as well.

7. dazco

dazco Member

I didn't expect that which is why i said this...

8. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

The closest thing to an EVM12L is an EVM Force 12.

It's identical in every way except the magnet is about half the size.

Same cone, same voice coil, same spider, same dome, same frame....less output and sensitivity by about 3dB.

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Hmm...Haven't tried an EVM Force. The Swamp Thang is not as fast as the 12L, IMO. It feels like there's a bit more give.

10. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Yes, duely noted, and what I said was in reference to that. You'd want something with as little overhang as possible, like the Fane Medusa 100 or something.