• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Does this Strat pickup exist?

strat6866

I am looking for a Single Coil bridge pickup for a Stratocaster that is bigger, fatter and smoother sounding with overdrive than a stock pup yet maintains that classic Strat tone when played clean in positions 1 & 2.
Does this pickup exist?

Last edited:

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
OK her's my op. The SCN's in my Am. Deluxe do this quite well thank you. I also have a set of Kinman AvnBlues where the bridge p/u is very full sounding, and with the "blend" control you can roll in the neck with the bridge too. All in all I think the SCN's do a little better than the Kinmans. YMMV

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
PM TGP username "neastguy" and ask him which cap he used to mod the Oly white partscaster he just sold to me. It has the SCN's in it and it sounds exactly as you've described. I know folks don't care for those pups but I think they sound great in this guitar and it's because of the cap he wired in there.

buddastrat

Everything is a compromise. Take from one to give to another. It's like that with everything in life.

But have faith, I have the perfect solution for you.

*Wire up your best sounding clean strat tone with your favorite pickups. That's your foundation for clean, quack, notched whatever.

*Then wire up a no load tone pot to the bridge pickup. That's your smooth.

*Then buy a ______ overdrive. That's your beef when you want it.

oldcoot

I bought a Rio Grande "Stelly" for another project awhile back that did'nt work out so I put it in my MIM Strat at the bridge and to me it's the most useable strat bridge pickup I have ever heard. Really sounds good cranked, like a humbucker. It's a keeper.

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
Everything is a compromise. Take from one to give to another. It's like that with everything in life.

But have faith, I have the perfect solution for you.

*Wire up your best sounding clean strat tone with your favorite pickups. That's your foundation for clean, quack, notched whatever.

*Then wire up a no load tone pot to the bridge pickup. That's your smooth.

*Then buy a ______ overdrive. That's your beef when you want it.
YES! I forgot to mention that the lower tone pot is wired to the bridge instead of the middle pup!

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Duncan SS-5's
It's SSL-5 and that is your answer...I use an SSL-5 in my Strat, thicker, fatter and smoother on top that a vintage Strat pickup but still blends well with the middle pickup and still sounds like a Strat...

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
The Eric Johnson Strat bridge pickup fits this description perfectly.

I am looking for a Single Coil bridge pickup for a Stratocaster that is bigger, fatter and smoother sounding with overdrive than a stock pup yet maintains that classic Strat tone when played clean in positions 1 & 2.
Does this pickup exist?

alivegy

Fralin Steel Pole 42. It is still unmistakably a single coil, but with out some of the shrill that you can get from a bridge single coil. It also isn't so hot that it sounds like a p90 and plays well with mildly overwound singles in the other 2 positions.

strat6866

I am sort of surprised that i haven't heard what i expected to..........in a good way though.

I thought i would hear Fralin SP43.....thinking it may too hot to still maintain classic strat tones?

Also thought i would hear Fralin Blues special or Van Zandt blues......would any of these do the trick?

LReese

Sounds like you are asking for a tapped pickup. What kind of PU cavity do you have in the guitar you are wanting to put the PU in? Maybe a tapped Tele PU might fill the bill.

I'm thinking you mean Pos 1 & 2 = Bridge and Bridge + Middle.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
Fralin Steel Pole 42. It is still unmistakably a single coil, but with out some of the shrill that you can get from a bridge single coil. It also isn't so hot that it sounds like a p90 and plays well with mildly overwound singles in the other 2 positions.
+1 for the Fralin Steel Poles. I put a Steel Pole 43 in the bridge position of my MIM Strat a few weeks back, and I love it. Yes, it retains the basic Statiness, but has more beef and isn't shrill at all. The 43 is hotter than the 42, but that's what I was after. I use Fralin humbuckers and P90s on four other guitars too, and I think these are excellent products all around.

strat6866

One of my strats is a Strat Plus with a red lace sensor in the bridge. It is very hot, warm and smooth but it does not retain that classic strat bridge tone. I do not want to replicate this setup so i am looking for something different for another guitar.
Are you , or anyone else able to compare the red lace sensor to an SP42 or SP43? Are they as hot? Do they still sound more stratty?

+1 for the Fralin Steel Poles. I put a Steel Pole 43 in the bridge position of my MIM Strat a few weeks back, and I love it. Yes, it retains the basic Statiness, but has more beef and isn't shrill at all. The 43 is hotter than the 42, but that's what I was after. I use Fralin humbuckers and P90s on four other guitars too, and I think these are excellent products all around.

jumpnblues

I am sort of surprised that i haven't heard what i expected to..........in a good way though.

I thought i would hear Fralin SP43.....thinking it may too hot to still maintain classic strat tones?

Also thought i would hear Fralin Blues special or Van Zandt blues......would any of these do the trick?

Yep. Or, a VanZandt Rock. A little hotter than the VZ Blues but still very much retains vintage tone.

Tom

Last edited:

buddastrat

Nope on the Fralin 43. It kills the vintage notched tone. I think the 42 would be similar. Again, I stress the compromise. Add a hot pickup, and take away from that cool stratty, clean thing.

If you want the good notched tone, you want similar middle and bridge pickups with similar outputs, otherwise one dominates. It's that simple.

IME, it's always easy to add gain/sustain,(wth an overdrive pedal, or amp gain,) but not so easy to take away if it's your pickup.

Trending Topics