Does Weed Foster Artistic Advancement?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Phoebe, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

There is one event that is way more fun to watch drunk than baked: Fighting. Or Football. :D

2. andrekp

andrekp Member

These musicians made great albums, that MAYBE could not have been improved, because they were creative to start with, surrounded by creative people, and were essentially given all the time and money they could use and wanted to do what they wanted. It wasn't the drugs that made them great, it was being great already, and then being allowed to express that greatness to the fullest of their ability.

And even if you actually believe that drugs played a major role in the greatness of the Beatles, etc., the idea that they therefore would improve others is belied by the countless numbers of unsuccessful musicians and others whose lives have been held back and ruined by drugs. Even if you believe in their occassional positive effect on people, there is no blanket statement that can be made as to their helpfulness to society as a whole, since so many more have been destroyed by them.

Speculation about the positive effects of drugs are just pointless ramblings from people who are in denial about their much greater downside. For every Bob Marley (even assuming drugs affected him positively), there are a dozen Amy Winehouses, and dozens more who were adversely affected. Society would be more improved by thirteen clean and sober people, able to do their best, than one high Bob Marley that might be better than any of the sober thirteen.

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

I found it difficult to focus with the intensity I'm accustomed to so, it's a no for me.

4. lazyjames

lazyjames Member

It means you should wait until you're sober to record the amazing ideas that come to you while high.

5. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

As an artist, I could always draw better after ripping a few bingers.....it aided the technique somehow.

Guitar-wise, it always made me focus more on my rhythm playing.

Disclaimer: I quit the ganj years ago....right after the advent of the Chron. I figured that if smoking the sacrament was going to get me that high, I could go smoke a sherm-stick or something else instead.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  6. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Weed absolutely fosters artistic flashes... but this is often countered by the fact that you forgot to press record (or are generally unproductive while under the influence).

If "damn good times" count for anything, smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

7. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

This is so subjective..It depends on the person and the weed.

These days, with a wide array of high quality herbs and strains, you can find various levels and types of buzz.

Some types of indica weed will knock you out and put you in a trance, while other sativa strains and hybrids may spark some creative energy...

8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

I gig with a reefo-scientist who shows up with three or so different types of weed. "This one's for before the gig, this one's for on the break, this one's for after...".