Does White Boy Blues Get Much Better Than This?!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 27sauce, Jan 24, 2015.

1. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

After enjoying some of Bonamassa's recent playing/tones, I got a bit tired of fast forwarding through the vocals had to throw this on. Wow…what is it? Why does this sound so perfect to me? The tone, the phrasing, the taste…in guitar and vocals.

If you haven't seen this, do yourself a favor. I'm sure it's been posted before. He's so much more aggressive/confident with the Strat/Soldono combo.

2. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

So lucky to catch Cream reunion at MSG, could see the LP and the 335 on the rack...alas, never picked them up.

3. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

Thanks! Nice to see him picking up a 335 again.

4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I remember a friend showing me this a few years back and I was really impressed. I love the guitar tone and vocals on the tune he does about 30-35 mins in. Playing slide on the ES-350 (i think that's the right model). A bit of an underappreciated era for Clapton with some excellent performances.

5. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

His last great era imho. His playing was on fire and his singing had matured nicely. And yeah that 335 sound great

6. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I love Clapton, but in answer to the question, I'll take this guy:

7. sideman

sideman Member

just can't get into the heaviness of those guys - slamming on the tunes so hard and loud - killing the rhythm and dynamics.
    Liking this more:

8. sideman

sideman Member

this guy too (solo at 4:00 channeling BB King)

9. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for posting! had seen the Scorcese piece but never this.

Saw him on that tour and it put the lie to the "he never played with any fire after D&D" stuff. Amazing phrasing and emotion throughout. I don't think I've heard him play with such consistent intensity for a full show since

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I guess I just don't like traditional blues whatsoever no matter who is playing it... I didn't think that was possible, but I suppose so. Nice tones though!

12. blong

blong Supporting Member

13. schultzvil

schultzvil In the Clean Channel Silver Supporting Member

thanks Sideman, for including me. As to Kid Andersen, it certainly doesn't get much better, OR whiter for that matter- he's a bloody VIKING for chrissakes!
    Of course I jest on this delicate matter, but he is from Norway. Pretty pale up there. But obviously soulful- he's one of the most amazing blues players of today, that's for certain. I know it for a fact- I've tried to hang with him!

But I'll just add- I have huge respect for EC. And that rehearsal clip is pretty great. I did see that tour, he did sound good (especially on the 335) and I've talked about it quite a bit with Jerry Portnoy- interesting stories. But I'd say, as a big fan, that what made Eric Clapton's name and reputation, at least among players (of a certain age) is the John Mayall Bluesbreakers record, AKA BEANO.
    Much referenced on TGP, and rightly so. On that record, EC played blues in a way that few white guys had ever done before. The other giant in this respect, if we must go down this path (and obviously we must) is, IMHO Michael Bloomfield.
    Many will reference Peter Green... and there is the legendary, apocryphal quote from BB saying that PG was the only (white?) guitar player to make him sweat..
    but I think in Clapton/ Beano (Have You Heard, Steppin Out, Hideaway, Double Crossing Time) you have something special happening, and the first two Butterfield records with Michael Bloomfield, and then Electric Flag & Nick Gravenites My Labors, and of course Super Session, those were the records and the cats who defined it.... just saying. I'm a little weak on the early Peter Green, somebody hip me to it!!

14. blong

blong Supporting Member

15. schultzvil

schultzvil In the Clean Channel Silver Supporting Member

all that said, about 10 years later, THIS cat came along and turned us ALL upside down. :eek: yes his brother laid down some heavy stuff and turned the world on to a lot of good music, but for many of us, older Bro was ALWAYS the cat.
    DIG HIM EARLY ON. JLV

16. Simto

Simto Member

That was so sick!

Just thought I'd add, I saw Clapton play in Hyde Park back in '08 and he's hands down the best guitar player I've ever heard in my life. He was just on another level!

17. Turi

Turi Member

Clapton certainly plays those five notes passionately, that's for sure.

18. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

^^^^^^^^^^^

and since a very cool definition of great music is the ability to move the listener with a single note, he gets closer than just about anyone

19. Scratchyrat

Scratchyrat Member

I really hate the term "white boy blues" it really has no bearing on the music at all. I mean if a black guy plays rock should we call it Black boy rock ?

Not trying to troll just freaking hate the term.

20. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

That was the idea. It's a ridiculous statement. Why would you say black boy rock? Is rock generally credited to white guys?