Does Winfield own the market for his price range?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by reachjkh, Nov 17, 2005.

1. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

Are there any other builders who offer a nice amp at or near Winfield's price range? He sells a 2xel84 chassis for $500-$600; mounted in a head box for $700-$800

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Valvetech is similar build quality, similar "one guy at home" operation at good prices. Maybe not quite as low as Winfield, but good. Other than that, Weber kits are priced about the same, but unassembled. That's all I can think of offhand....

3. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

Wow, actually Valvetech's price for his 22w amp head is pretty close. I like some of his features too.

Any other small builders that build a nice head for under a grand?

4. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the weber kits built by a tech would come in at under a grand.
    i also think that the THD univalve is an outstanding head if U don't need to keep up w/ a loud drummer. i'm seein' 'em on eBay for $600.00 USD.

5. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

I'm not interested in getting a circuit board amp this time around.

I would love to have a Univalve sometime, but since my budget is only one good amp and a backup(my Crate Vintage club), I prefer to get a hand-built amp if I can afford it.

I know I'm a dork, but I like the idea of buying something of quality that I can keep forever. 20 years from now, it could be repaired by a good tech whether or not the manufacturer is still around.

6. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

Mike Whitney of Whitney Amps, and Jesse of Rockytop Electronics, both build superb handmade amps, I bought one of each (as chassis only) and they were well under a grand each. They are lifetime-quality amps. :dude

I owned a Valvetech and it was ok, not really my thing though.
    I also owned a Winfield Thomas amp and was underwhelmed.

Rockytop 45: JTM45 style, hand-built and sweet.
    Whitney Penta66: plexi-voiced, but switchable cathode/fixed bias, high/low power switch, tube rectified, takes 6V6, 5881, 6L6, KT66, EL34..... does it all.

-Guy

7. GasMask

GasMask Member

The Dr. Z Carmen Ghia is under $1,000. The Maz Jr. non-reverb head is a bit more, but might be money well spent. You might try out a "Z" to see if you like the sound.

8. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

Yup... nothing with a circuitboard has ever lasted 20 years... nor been built by hand either... Don't forget the total lack of quality too :rolleyes: I too forgot that only handwired boardless designs can be repared 20 years down the track...

9. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Fabamps! You'll thank me later.

;) <--note the wink.

10. GasMask

GasMask Member

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you have made four statements, and all of them are wrong.

1) There are Many circuitboard amps (as you call them) that have lasted over 20 years. I've got one in my studio now, and just sold another.

2) There have been Many PCB amps built by hand!

3) Total lack of quality? Top quality components can be installed on a PCB as well as PTP. There are some top quality PCB amps being built now.

4) Repairability? A good tech can replace components on a PCB. Sure, it might be just a bit more difficult, but to say it cannot be done is wrong.

Forgive me if your post was supposed to be a joke, It's late.....

11. n8b

n8b Member

I have to agree with this as I have a 1976 Marshall Super Lead 100 in for new tubes that has a flawless PCB with nice wide traces.

This doesn't mean that amps made in the last 10 or so years have the same quality PCB's, however. I've worked on quite a few JCM900's, Hotrod Deluxe's and Blues Deluxe's, all with thin burnt/peeling traces, hot spots, and problems with pcb mounted tube sockets.

Not all amps are created equal...

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

thank-U.
    i'm reminded of the scene in team america, from trey parker et. al.
    there's three kinds of people...
    dicks, ******* and a$$holes.
    ******* just want everyone to get along.
    dicks wanna fµck everybody.
    a$$holes end up sh!tting on everything.
    etc. etc.....

13. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

What sound are you after? There are many great amps that bought used, are in the $ range you are looking....

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I think Ziggy was being sarcastic, and is actually in total agreement with you. Notice the rolleyes? At least thats the way I took it.

15. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

Yes I was being sarcastic. I thought it was so far of the meter that everyone would have gotten it but obivously not... I'll try to make it clearer in future...

I find the idea of limiting your selection of possible purchases because an amp uses a printed circuit board absolutely ridiculous. I don't know what prompts people to do such a thing, perhaps merely bragging rights? There are lots of great amps in that price range and you'd be a fool not to check them out.

16. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

You see, I was trying to avoid this when I said that I would LOVE to have a Univalve. There's plenty of other threads where people are yelling about circuit board amps being good or bad.

I personally want a non-circuit board amp this time just because that's what I want.

Thanks for the heads up on the other companies guys. I'll look into them today. I'm not looking for a particular tone. I mainly want a good clean base to build off of for a variety of music. If i can get some great distortion from the amp as well... all the better.

I need to keep my price down to $800-$900 max. So far Winfield and Valvetech are hand built for that price. Now I just need to get to selling my guitar and bass rig.

17. Tag

I can TOTALLY understand this if tone is not the main concern. However, for a PLAYER, it makes no sense to me at all. A Bassman RI or LTD will completely blow away 99% of every hand wired amp made to my ear. They are as reliable as any PTP amp as well. I know tons of guys who have them, and no problems what so ever. There are lots of other PCB amps (that have different tonal characteristics than the bassman) that sound better than most PTP amps too. Mesa Maverick. Lonestar. Tremoverb. SRRI. Bluesbreaker.....its endless.

18. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

hard to argue with.

19. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

makes total sense to me. I happen to feel the same way, but more important is to get what you want, not what somebody else :rolleyes: says you "should" find acceptable

20. Tag

And *I* addressed that with this statement.

"I can TOTALLY understand this if tone is not the main concern."

:BEER