Does your band play originals or covers?

Covers or Originals

• Covers

Votes: 80 54.1%
  • Originals

Votes: 68 45.9%

• Total voters

supergenius365

Disclaimer: Not an actual supergenius
Silver Supporting Member
Originals is our focus, but we have a handful of covers that I think a good portion of the general public do not know - i.e. we play Tom Petty's "Down South", Little Feat's "Willin'", Whiskeytown's "16 Days" and Uncle Tupelo/Doug Sahm's "Key to My Heart". Not obscure B sides or anything, just lesser known songs that we enjoy.

We play my originals. We currently have 3 songs written by other members of the band as well.

At age 54, I have never been busier gigging.

Guitar Dave T

Most bands I play with do covers, though they're blues, r&b and soul covers that get taken in often-different directions.

Last gig I did with my own band took this concept and added the element of deep covers by artists who were pretty deep in the stacks for younger audiences. At the end of the night, the bar manager told me "I really love all y'alls originals".

I didn't want to take credit for others' works, and I also didn't want to be the-pedantic-old-guy by schooling the bar manager, so I just smiled and white-lied her with, "thanks - I really appreciate it, we get that a lot for our deep covers - I guess we really should properly learn 'em one of these days".

The Whale

Silver Supporting Member
I’m sure someone has said this already, but need an option for “both”. My primary band, Violet Mary, has written 6 records of music and we play that unapologetically as we love it and want to share it with others like us who will jive with it. Along the way, we also throw in songs with love from artists we love and are well known. It’s the connective tissue that brings the audience into the stuff they might not know. So…both

Frond

original band here: one album out, writing for the second. gigging roughly once every 6-8 weeks (averaging that out over the year)

LJOHNS

No original around where I live. The best band around does throw in an original song or two - that’s it. I don’t think anyone here would go see a local band that only plays original tunes. We play all covers.

waylon

Where do you play/live that you can play 3-4 hours of originals?
we live and are based in Roanoke, VA but we play venues as far north as the DC area and down into South Carolina. anything within a 5 hour radius basically and if we're being realistic we'd never have to venture out of Roanoke. we only go to other cities to see how it goes basically/try to win over new 'fans'. we know we are the exception.

Beyer260

Cool. Is there more to the story?
You can Google them, they have a few albums. Basically, their raison d'etre was to take obscure R&B and soul songs and recast them as garage rock. "As Long As I Have You" was covered by Led Zeppelin in their early days, but their version was very different from the Cobras' (but also great). Sadly their singer died earlier this year, and I never got to see them.

we live and are based in Roanoke, VA but we play venues as far north as the DC area and down into South Carolina. anything within a 5 hour radius basically and if we're being realistic we'd never have to venture out of Roanoke. we only go to other cities to see how it goes basically/try to win over new 'fans'. we know we are the exception.

Are you guys a jam band, or do you just have a huge songbook of originals? (Or both)

waylon

Are you guys a jam band, or do you just have a huge songbook of originals? (Or both)
not a jam band
i guess a huge songbook of originals. 3 EPs that we sell at shows and at least a dozen more we haven't recorded yet that we play in front of audiences.

RupertB

Silver Supporting Member
Covers, mostly rock & pop from '60-'90s.
We'll do around 30 gigs this year.

tele_jas

I'm 50yrs old now and just happy (and lucky) to still be playing as much as I want to be... I'll take any gig, as long as I enjoy doing it. Once I no longer enjoy it (original or cover), I'll hang it up.

I've been in both types of bands and even toured the country in the late 90s with an original band.

While I enjoy playing original music and eventually having it requested and hearing people singing along with it.....It's a hard road to follow! Because when the next song you play is a popular 80s cover tune and the dance floor packs out and people start screaming and singing at the top of their lungs, it's sometimes hard to go back and play more originals.

Money isn't what we get into this for, but as an original band in the early 2000s, we were barely making $100 each......When we started playing more 80s cover tunes, we blew up and started making $300-$400 per/night. I made more in 2004 & 2005 playing music 4 times a month than I did working my full-time job! Unfortunately, times have changed and no bands make that around here any more.

My last original band, was lucky to play once every 4-6 weeks. My last few cover bands, and my current, we were playing 2-3 nights a week and finally had to cut back to just 5 or 6 shows a month to keep from getting burnt out. That's about the average.... This month, we've kind of pushed it back up a little and played 8 shows. We wouldn't be able to do that in an original band around here.

I've been lucky enough to travel the country with an original country band, that threw in a few covers. Eventually, we were booked more for our covers so we gave up on being an original band and became a cover band with a few originals, instead of the other way around.

FWIW: We're slowly adding a few originals into our shows.... We don't introduce them as originals, unless someone asks. Eventually we'd like to get a few recorded and make available to DL.

Last edited:

SoulTrip

What about if I was in a band that plays originals - but the originals aren't mine? Am I then covering originals?

Beyer260

What about if I was in a band that plays originals - but the originals aren't mine? Am I then covering originals?
Does anybody get mad if you don't play them like the record?

Does the bandleader tell you exactly what to play, or do you get to arrange your own part?

kevin hart

Silver Supporting Member
We play mostly original music, but do a few reworked covers.

Pretty heavily influenced by 60' and early 70' reggae, but we are older guys who all grew up listening & playing 60's and 70's rock, pop and jazz, so the originals are a mix of it all.

We play 8-10 shows a year, but rehearse weekly and record a new project every couple of years.

Most fun I've had playing music in a very long time.

Top Bottom