• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Does your grab and go rig rival your main rig?

John_M

Silver Supporting Member
Sigh.....
So my pedalboard is big. 14 pedals, built in mic stand, and I've had it for 12 years. Thru thick and thin its been there and I've a soft place in my heart for it.

I decided to make a grab and go board for small sit in gigs. I took my ancient Korg A5 and bought a OKKO modded Tube Factor (oh, my, God). Set it up and tweaked it out - and damn if it's not great.

Now I'm missing the POG, Wah, autowah, Phaser and Vibe. I'd also like to add maybe one low gain grit pedal. Other than that, this backup rig is pretty damn good. Should I downsize? Love this old board. The A5 IS older than all of it tho - had that since '91. At a crossroads here methinks

HayekFan

Life is full of hard choices isn't it? My main board has 14 pedals too, but I think I could be happy 90% of the time with just a RAT and a delay.

John_M

Silver Supporting Member
aw now come on - you know what I mean. a 33x19 pedalboard to be made into a 24x12. Is it really that much savings? I might be having my own epiphany right here on the board. And I know what you mean dysorexia -I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.

billyjett

I'm into this minimalism thing in a big way.
Me too!! I've spent the last ten years downsizing, and I'm not about to stop now.I'm not a touring musician and most of the stages I play on are too small for a big set-up anyway.I have one small pedalboard ( 6-7 pedals), and thats the way I like it.

billyjett

Sigh.....
So my pedalboard is big. 14 pedals, built in mic stand, and I've had it for 12 years. Thru thick and thin its been there and I've a soft place in my heart for it.

I decided to make a grab and go board for small sit in gigs. I took my ancient Korg A5 and bought a OKKO modded Tube Factor (oh, my, God). Set it up and tweaked it out - and damn if it's not great.

Now I'm missing the POG, Wah, autowah, Phaser and Vibe. I'd also like to add maybe one low gain grit pedal. Other than that, this backup rig is pretty damn good. Should I downsize? Love this old board. The A5 IS older than all of it tho - had that since '91. At a crossroads here methinks
When you say "sit in gigs", do you mean Jam sessions?.What decision process do you go through to determine which board to use? This is coming from someone who has never had a "main rig", just one rig.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
My grab and go rig is a Marshall C5, no pedals. My main rig is a Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and 425A 4x12 cab, no pedals.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
My main board does everything I need (see sig), but an EHX Octave Multiplexer, Germanium OD, and Memory Boy can get me by easily.

My main rig IS grab and go.
Me too. Pt. Jr., R4, and early PTP Budda TwinMaster 18, the amp is 29 lbs, the guitar, 8 and the board around 10. Does Jams, recording, and gigs indoors and out (mic'd on the latter). Big gigs usually get a backline, I have a stereo/Mesa 1x12 amp and cab if I need to step it up a db or two, but the Budda and pedaltrain make all the gigs and jams.

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
****, my board is huge but only has 4 pedals. they're bigger pedals mostly, though, and I have big feet. :drink

Trending Topics

Top Bottom