Does your guitar dictate your style?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rpavich, May 29, 2005.

1. Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker Member

Even though I can't explain why, I do feel that way as well. I think that every guitar has it's own character and speaks to the player in its own way.

I absolutely love Les Pauls, but when I start playing certain kinds of music I really want to grab my PRS. Even though a Les Paul is more than capable of handling the task, the PRS just feels right.

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

milli vanilli and tweedfix like this.
  3. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Not much...

I play it more like I would an acoustic other than bending more...all the stuff I play would work on Acoustic....kind of more 'pure'.

Though when I finally record again I will certainly use EFX...but I want the Chords and Rhythms to do the work...

not much gain...sometimes very aggressive Rhythms but not ' in your face' Tones...

I do think it's cool when different Guitars nudge creativity in different directions though....

4. TheNewWhatNext

TheNewWhatNext Member

Eh, cliché inbound but I always end up sounding like myself. But with that said, I do find certain guitars nudge me to certain places; I always end up bashing out a Hold Steady riff if I'm just noodling on my Les Paul, or a Jawbox riff on my Schecter PT. But maybe that's just cause of the guys who played those guitars. When all's said and done I can take any of the guitars I own to band practice and none of them sound 'wrong', just different. It's a good question, one which I could spend hours answering!

5. axe4me

axe4me Member

In some ways yes.
    I think my personality changes with the vibe of the guitar.
    You know it's me but I do change stylistically when I play a different guitar.
    Each of these are played with a different mood:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sets of .008 12 String sets; .09's; .010's; .012 Bronze; .012 Chromes; .013 to .056 Round Wounds and Nylon sets inspire me to play differently.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  6. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I don't know if I have a style but across the three Gibsons pretty much the same playing wise.

The Tele does seem to lead to my regurgitation of the three Albert Lee licks I learned, permutated natch.

When I pick up the dreadnought it is only a matter of time before the fiddle tune comes out, but rusty as I don't spend much time on flatpicking these days.

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

For me, probably not...I pretty much sound like me no matter what I play. However, I always owned about a dozen Strats and usually took 3 of them to a gig. But they did sound and play different...so I might select one over the others based on my mood at the time. But I did have my favorite and that one usually went to every gig...and the other 2 were rotated just to keep things interesting and to see if I could tinker them into being "better" that my #1 ;).

8. s2y

s2y Member

Nice thread necro.

I think a little of both goes on. Would you string an archtop acoustic with .008s and play it like a shred guitar? To a certain extent, guitars are meant to be played, strung, and set up a certain way. This helps capitalize on what it does best. There can be exceptions.

9. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I have a selection of versatile electric guitars- Les Paul Deluxe, Telecaster, Epiphone Riviera, Peavey T-60, Yamaha SHB400- that I can use on most of the music I play where I would play an electric guitar. Though I play my Les Paul Deluxe more than the others because it is the most comfortable to play and I am more used to playing it than the others. My Gibson ES-330 is also versatile and has some character than most of the ones I just mentioned don't have. But it is not quite as versatile as those. However, there are some gigs where I want a full bodied sound and on which I will be doing some fingerpicking. That is when I am more likely to play the ES-330, ES-150, ES-175, Gretsch Double Anniversary, or Gretsch Country Club.

I am more likely to play my ES-175D, a 1956, than one of the Gretsches when playing more rockabilly-flavored music unless a band leader specifically asks for a Gretsch. Most don't care what I play as long as I get the job done. But Gretsch hollowbodies are so stereotypically linked to rockabilly guitar that I would rather play something else. The ES-175 is definitely period correct and has an excellent rockabilly, hillbilly boogie, honky tonk country, and western swing sound. And I dug deep enough into rockabilly to see that lots of rockabilly cats played other guitars besides Gretsch. Though I have occasionally played rockabilly on a Gretsch.

I have an old Jazzmaster strung with flatwound 12s. It is an awesome sounding guitar. But it is not a particularly good string bending guitar. I play different stuff and sometimes more interesting stuff on it than I do on my other guitars. And there are some gigs I play where the Jazzmaster is ideal. It is also a very good guitar to record with.

10. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I try to take whatever the guitar is giving me.

Of course, you can play whatever you want on any guitar, but some guitars are better for certain things than others, and they'll let you know it.

massacre likes this.
  11. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

had a 74 LP and a 72 both with T-tops.the 74 had a cleaner brighter tone like Dickey on Jessica the 72 was much more Zep II. As a result of these sounds I used and played them differently, toward their strengths and used them were most fitting. Now could I break out of these notions, sure but always in the back of my mind I knew I'd rather had guitar X. even shape is an influence, my 335 and explorer are worn differently and the action/neck suggest or allow/ favor certain things.

12. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

a good guitar inspires you in a certain way and absolutely influences the music you are playing or composing, that's a fact.

13. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I absolutely play mine differently. Not so much difference between LP and SG, but I tend to play the Strat more rhythmically, if that makes sense. And the Tele makes me tend towards chicken picking (not that I can really pull it off). The different gauge strings and different scale length probably impacts my bends and vibrato too.

I also play my bass a bit differently.

14. Michael6120

Michael6120 Member

No not for me... But it dictates my inspiration without a doubt.

massacre likes this.
  15. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

If I'm just noodling around then sure, I will play cleaner, maybe even more funkier stuff on a Strat, and dirtier, rockier stuff on a LP, but at rehearsal or gigs I just play the songs the same no matter what guitar.

Heinz W likes this.
  16. denitronik

denitronik Member

No, I play the same way on any electric guitar. They sound differently when plugged in.

massacre likes this.
  17. don carney

don carney Silver Supporting Member

I play the same but the difference in tone with different guitars is significant to me (I do not think it matters much to either other band members or audience at the gig). Sometimes the differences in tone are helpful for me and sometimes they are a distraction (ie all night I am thinking that is still not the right tone).

massacre likes this.
  18. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Dictate style? No. I know guitar selection influences my style. Maybe it's semantics, but I'll play differently on my Strat than I will my SG, I'll strum aggressively on my dread, while practice fingerstyle on my OM.

I just don't have enough talent to get away with just one guitar. I'd be frustrated and feel limited, or maybe I'd be forced to be more creative/proactive to work through my perceived constraint.

19. Matt L

Matt L Member

Sure, kinda like how the thread title will dictate to some degree which 7 or 8 guitars Axe4Me will post pictures of from his collection.

20. massacre

massacre Silver Supporting Member

I approach them all the same but it's mostly the pickups and wiring that will influence that. I play my Gibson custom shop Flying V (2 Dirty Fingers hum buckers) differently than my Vega SG-99 (single Franz P-90 style pickup) for instance. I keep an acoustic around with electric strings for practicing on, so when I play a "real" acoustic I'm like ULP and definitely play those differently lol.
    But like many said, the guitar kind of lets you know what it wants, if you know what I mean. At least for me.