Does your lead singer use a lyric book onstage?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Wyatt Martin, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:51 PM.

1. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

An international rock act using an iPad onstage:
    [​IMG]

supergenius365 and CRBMoA like this.
  2. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Supporting Member

I saw Aerosmith in Vegas last week. On the back of the arena wall, facing the stage they have a big screen with the lyrics up. Before the end of the current song they would have the title of the next song up already so you knew what was coming. Seems to be for Steven only. Joe sang a few tunes and there were no lyrics for him.

3. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

He occasionally uses his phone to pull up lyrics, for like one or 2 songs (during practice). When we are out playing, he has only ever done that when it is a special request for a song that we don't usually do.

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Springsteen takes requests regularly from among dozens or more songs (not his necessarily) ... his techs are racing on the prompters to roll the lyrics. Another example of when it's not a big deal to me.

5. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

No dancing, leads to teen pregnancy.

ned7flat5 and Broken Diode like this.
  6. Doctor of Rock and Roll

Doctor of Rock and Roll Member

I prefer the stage hands to hold up huge Bristol board signs with the lyrics in black marker. ..like Elvis.

The singer in my band has the ipod discreet set up he isn't glued to it but it is there especially newer tunes but as material get familiar he doesn't seem to need it. It is more of a security type thing. Do I like it? No..Do I want to sing? No. So I'll just play the guitar and not worry about it.

7. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I'm all for the iPad. I don't hold any expectations of him memorizing lyrics. We've been playing a lot of the same songs for the last 9 years so I know it's not going to happen. I would like a less cluttered, more professional appearance.

8. data_null

data_null Member

I couldn't agree more. Personally I prefer to have all my stuff memorized. But I couldn't care less if someone else is using an iPad, teleprompter, etc for reference. Much better to have those there as an aid, instead of completely messing up the song (that's what is really unprofessional).

9. gennation

gennation Member

There is a local band where everyone in the band has an iPad. They bring a WiFi hotspot and sync all the iPads together using OnSong. One guy can call up a song on his iPad and it changes everyone else’s iPad to the same chart on the fly. Slick a shi1t!

Wyatt Martin likes this.
  10. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

i think it might be just one of those things like tracks, and a click, that at some point became a meme amongst bigger touring acts - to where now, that's just what many artists + musicians expect going into a gig. whether or not it actually helps the music. that's just IMHO.
    fwiw, though, a lyric book or teleprompter doesn't bother me.
    i use charts a lot - although very discretely. when i hire a band for my gig, they're usually using charts too. fine by me, as long as it's not too in the way visually.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  11. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Memorizing music is not, "holier-than-thou".

Learning to play an instrument, knowing chords, whole songs, and often actual lyrics, was what was required when many of us were paying our dues.

Apparently, we were over-achievers and didn't even know it!

12. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

No.

I won't play in a band where the singer has a lyrics prompter. And I'm the singer in one band, so I know the work that's involved.

Other people are free to do what they want.

I do lot of concert photography for local acts, so I'll take a few hundred shots in the course of an evening. So many shots are ruined by a music stand in the way, or "Bad Reading Face".

chillybilly and Hamer95USA like this.
  13. Horizontalmode

Horizontalmode Member

The singer I know just uses a hologram on stage while he’s elsewhere doing.........

14. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

In my experience I see 2 types of players using "memory aids"
    1) crutch performers: chords chart, opening lines of verses in order
    2) sight readers: with every chord, note and verse charted out

I'm a type 1 and feel this still allows me to interact with the band members, audience, and not be nose into my tablet.

As you mention singer, I think front person, paid to be the face and point of audience interaction... are they doing their job?

Hamer95USA likes this.
  15. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

The only thing that would make using a lyric book even more irritating would be the reading glasses positioned on the end of the nose during a gig.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Sounds pretty lame to me unless they are calling audibles from someone else's set lists or they are horn players or they do requests only.
    Charts for a rock band to call audibles out of their own list? We have a rotation of 65+ covers and I can play any one of them any time without help. Hell, I probably know 500+ tunes and can get through most from memory if I had too.
    My singer uses an iPad and it's lame... I wish modern country didn't have so many damn lyrics (and mostly the same about trucks, chicks, beer, whiskey, etc.)
    So I do sympathize with him on having to try and memorize all those lyrics (because I sing some lead too) but you need to TRY, especially in a rock band.
    If you are even remotely connected to the iPad, especially as the lead singer it's NOT GOOD.
    I have brought this up several times and as we get in bigger rooms it is going to become an even bigger issue.
    Competitive bands will find any excuse to knock you on your way up, especially when you are doing well and getting traction. Having reliance on iPads, bad mixes going FB Live, all that **** makes it WAY too easy to cut you down.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  17. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

You are correct about memorizing. I agree 100% that memorizing and needing no notes, etc., is the ideal.

This rule, of course, is violated massively every time I see the symphony (all playing from music stands), and I know they are better musicians than I'll ever be. :YinYang

IMO less correct about insisting what others must do. :idea I respect and envy those who don't need any assistance, if I didn't I might've gone farther. And then, like the Stones, Bruce, and fill in the blank of dozens of major acts, I could have my prompter ready every night. :aok

18. gennation

gennation Member

They have been the hottest band running in our state for the last 5-6 years when it comes to top gigs and top pay around the state.

It’s a younger group of guys with 2-3 multi instrumentalist in the band. I think it’s awesome that they embrace the technology.

Most bands also have an iPad on hand for each person running their own mix as well as for the FOH mix. I did a full in gig with a band that did ALL in ears on stage, absolutely no amps, and we all had a mixer on our ipad.

IPads on stage are here to stay.

19. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

When I ran my own band, it was not allowed. You're a singer: One of your few jobs in the band is to know your lyrics. It's in the job description.

The female singer for the band I play in now uses an iPad. It irritates the sh*t out of me. But not my band, so my only option is to deal with it, or quit. She doesn't stare at the iPad all night, but she needs the crutch. It looks pretty terrible in some videos and pics -- I don't understand why she doesn't see that.

It's not like she sings 3 hours of tunes. We have 3 other lead singers, so she lead sings on 18-20 songs/gig. But that F*cking iPad is standing there all night long.

There's only one reason why a singer can't memorize his/her lyrics. He/she has not put in the work. Everything else, other than brain damage, is simply an excuse for not being willing to do the work.

Hamer95USA, Gasp100 and CRBMoA like this.
  20. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Hold on. 50 is far from too old to not be able to memorize tunes. I'm 55, I have no problem whatsoever, but I work at it. If I have to sing a song 200 times to memorize the lyrics, that's what I'll do. I did some sub gigs late last year and had to learn about 30 - 35 new songs on guitar for them, including about 7 originals. I did the gigs with no cheat sheets. I worked my ass off to prep for those gigs though.

Your parental excuse is fair. If you don't have the time, you don't have the time.

But if you've really got that kind of cognitive decline at 50, I'd suggest getting some medical testing.