Does your lead singer use a lyric book onstage?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Wyatt Martin, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:51 PM.

1. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Can you show me the part where I "insist"?

Having played in both a symphony and a rock band, I can assure you that stage presence and audience engagement are not very high on the list of requirements for symphony work.

2. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Thank you George.

Hamer95USA and CRBMoA like this.
  3. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Yeah I totally agree with your last paragraph. There is no excuse for laziness or disinterest.

Singing isn't my natural ability and I had to work on it almost daily just to be make sure I could hit certain notes on key. That's why I was able to memorize 4 hours worth of material easily. But singing required more practice for me than my guitar playing.

Some singers can hit all the right notes right out of bed in the morning. They don't require as much practice as I did. So i think because of that they take their abilities for granted and don't take memorizing the lyrics seriously.

This is nothing more than a hobby band for my singer. Myself and the others take it more seriously than he does but at our ages we know our window of opportunity is far, far behind us.

At this point I would like him to minimize the cluttered living room recliner and end table look. I know he has no desire to memorize songs. But it's frustrating because he sets his book up alphabetically (over 300 songs in his book) instead of according to the set list. So you can't peel off into the next song without him saying "wait a minute I have to find it". I've repeated the intros to songs for over a minute while he flips back and forth in his book.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  4. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

god, I hope no one pays to see that.

I feel for you.

stratjim and Hamer95USA like this.
  5. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

I'm the singer and lyric writer so, no... not yet. I'm getting old and my memory isn't yet full of holes but odds are, sooner or later it'll start to go. When that happens, it's IPad/Ring binder time for me. Besides, if it was good enough for Bowie, it's good enough for me.

6. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

At least try to memorize this: You are not Springsteen, Bowie or U2.

7. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Not very often it seems ;)

JoeB63 likes this.
  8. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Much of the time here on TGP, there are two or more sides to an issue, and people on the different sides all have decent points and rationales, e.g. Should you use a tube amp or a modeler? Answer: It depends on a number of things, and often, either one will work great.

But let me assure you there's only one correct answer here: You should not use an iPad, or a music stand, while playing rock music, unless, for some reason, you absolutely must. There's no honest "It doesn't matter -- no one notices or cares" argument, and there's no "Sometimes having an iPad looks better" argument.

Hamer95USA and katuna like this.
  9. PhilB61

PhilB61 Member

Unless there's a good reason (physical or mental issue that makes it impossible to memorize it), everybody older musician I've learned from had the same philosophy: If you need a sheet to play it, you're not ready to perform it (orchestras notwithstanding, obviously.)

I play rhythm guitar in all our songs, and sing lead in 90%+ of songs, and backup on the others. We put a lot of work into rehearsing over and over until everyone knows the keys, chords, and those of us singing know the lyrics so we can perform it. In addition to looking right on stage, referring to the material actually puts a break in the performance, and it also removes some of the freedom, musically. Sometimes, the groove is great, and the crowd is digging it, and you just want to stretch the song out. Or you want to do an extra verse or skip one. If you're so busy that you need to check your paperwork, how will the rest of the band communicate with one another? There are lots of looks, nods, etc, on stage that can let other band members know what you're doing, at least in my experience.

For the one person who mentioned their lead singer actually leafing through the hundreds of pages of alphabetized (but not in setlist-order), holy crap. That's nuts.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  10. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Lyric/chord sheets = recital
    Without = performance

It ain’t easy to get it all down, but sure looks lame to see all those blue glows uplighting the band faces. Almost like in-flight entertainment.

chillybilly and Hamer95USA like this.
  11. AZJim

AZJim Member

Completely agree. Unless you're in the kind of band where the schtick is to play hundreds of songs by whim or request. Only other possible exception would be a new band where singer needs to learn a whole night's material really fast. But then you learn it, and lose the book asap. Maybe cheat sheets, on the floor, but no book or iPad on a stand. Looks completely unprofessional.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  12. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

After a lifetime of severe alcoholism and a DUI that pushed the drummer/singer into the DTs, we encourage him to use whatever it takes. He has a great voice. He puts lyric sheets on the drums.

13. themass

themass Supporting Member

I can memorize music with no problems but have always struggled with lyrics. If I was performing 4-5 days a week it’d probably sink in, but being a weekend warrior I use an iPad discreetly. IMO, there’s a big difference between a telepromter or iPad vs a full sized music stand with paper lyrics

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 7:40 PM
  14. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

in my world at least, there are a lot of one-offs. people are busy, if it's not a tour, you can't necessarily get the same guys for every gig.
    so there's a lot of single rehearsal, go crush the show type stuff. everybody expects everybody else to show up super prepared. charts are normal in those situations. you can use charts or an iPad leaned up against a monitor to where the audience can't even see it, too. i'll take guys using charts before making mistakes on the gig.

eventually though playing the same material several times, yeah, i'd get off them.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 7:53 PM
  15. Digits_Only

Digits_Only Member

I've yet to see a soloist with a symphony use music. They are, after all, the frontperson.

Also, many symphony players just saw their parts for the first time that afternoon.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  16. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I'm the lead singer in my various groups
    ( which just means same basic song pool for acoustic duo/trio/electric full band)
    and I know 90% of the songs I sing by memory.
    But I do keep a music stand with two old school binders nearby, for a few songs I need help with lyrics ( if we do them), or for requests...One is Classic R&R and one is Classic Country/Bluegrass

17. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

IPad and it is irritating, but they're not going to change. So, I no longer woory/care about it.

I've also been a LS and I always memorized the lyrics. After 46 or 47 years of this I have no idea how many song lyrics are in the hear permanently (I hope).

18. reddog112

reddog112 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mine uses one and it’s like his security blanket. It irritates me but it’s not worth the confrontation. We get along well and it’s a good band, but I’d prefer to be more professional. Many of us are stuck “in between” weekend warriors and true full-time pro musicians, the grey area that makes these types of things issues.

tiktok likes this.
  19. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

[​IMG]

20. Doctor of Rock and Roll

Doctor of Rock and Roll Member

It seemed like in the 90's you would never see a band with lyric stands on stage.

It was just part of playing live that you memorized tunes.

I think the advent of technology and the phenomenon of people playing in 5 different bands has created a situation where people are overloaded

It is more common to see singers using and aid than not nowadays so it seems it is only older school musicians who are bothered by it.

I think there are things that are far more unprofessional than using an ipod like: drunkenness, no lights, shabby clothes, half learned songs,...playing the same 40 songs for 20 years. I would rather be adding new tunes on a regular basis and have the singer use the ipod than to be the former .

Hamer95USA likes this.