Does your lead singer use a lyric book onstage?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Wyatt Martin, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:51 PM.

1. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

At least your singer has his notebook on a stand. I played in a band where the singer/guitarist would be crouched on the floor flipping thru his notebook looking for the words for the next song.

2. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

My take: From the audience's protective, there's not nearly as much difference as you think. From the band's perspective, there's no difference. Either way, you're reading.

3. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Do you see a lot of young bands using iPads? I haven't noticed that.

And, if you have all your songs memorized, it's simple to add new songs, since you only have to memorize one or two at a time.

False dichotomy anyway.

CRBMoA likes this.
  4. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

I cannot take credit for this, but I have referred to it often over the years.

A non-musician friend asked an accomplished musician the difference between reading charts and playing by ear. His reply was that - Reading sheet music is like reading your term paper for the class. Playing by memory means you actually know what you are talking about.

PhilB61 and Hamer95USA like this.
  5. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

I keep my book at my feet, in front of my pedalboard so it doesn't look like I'm using anything to most of the audience. Is that so wrong?

6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Thanks so much for sharing.:aok

7. bob-i

bob-i Member

8. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Previous bands singers always used big three ring binders on a music stand. In my current band the singer does not use a stand, but he forgets and jumbles up the lyrics a bit, especially on the newer tunes. Pick your poison I guess.

9. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Thanks so much for answering my question?

You quoted me, and yet you refuse to acknowledge what I am actually saying.

10. themass

themass Supporting Member

Agree to disagree then - I glance down occasionally at a 7” tablet around my waist if I need a reminder of how the 3rd verse starts. Use a pedal to skip to the next song. The only time I have to touch or really look at it during a show is if I need to adjust a monitor mix. It works like a charm and has allowed me to perform better since I don’t stress about forgetting lyrics.

11. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

In another thread this past weekend, I pointed out that almost everyone presumes that all cover bands, other than their own, suck. I disagreed with that, as I've seen plenty of good-to-excellent cover bands. But based on this thread, I need to rethink that.

It sure seems like most cover band musicians (and I presume that we're all talking about cover bands here -- not original bands in which singers show up unprepared and read their own lyrics) don't even bother to fully prepare for their gigs, and don't think there's anything wrong with that. Perhaps most cover bands are really lame.

CRBMoA likes this.
  12. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Yup, agree to disagree. My opinion is that having a 7" tablet around a lead singers waist kills the 'we're quality professional musicians' vibe of your band, and makes you look like an IT guy who's doing it just for fun (which I guess is OK if that's what you're doing and you're OK with that vibe).

I mean, if you only need to look at the tablet to be reminded how the 3rd verse starts, you're SOOOOO close to being able to live without it altogether. I've been there. I've played out of a book. I've used cheat sheets. Until I realized that I just need to work a little harder to do it right. Re-learn the songs without the visual aids. You'll get them all.

I did a one-off gig last year -- with me as the lead singer. Almost 2 hours-worth of new songs (that I picked). I worked on it, and memorized all the lyrics (and the guitar parts) over several weeks. If I only had a week to prep, I would have had to use help, and the show would have suffered for it --- but if you're gigging with the same band regularly, just do the work.

But, as I said above, the female lead singer in my current band uses one -- and I hate it. There's no talking to her about it. So I'm talking to you guys :).

stratjim and CRBMoA like this.
  13. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

I think you have some very good points in your post. That's good that you understood & worked with their digital set up. I'm all for embracing the technology available to working musicians today. I purchased my own IEMs, can go ampless (requires using an digital amp modeler/analog preamp or pedal/effects/cab sims type of guitar rig), and using the iPad as a FOH & personal monitor mix. I can picture myself using it, adjusting myself to that set up, and making it work. Not having wedge monitors to load in/out is nice. I would make sure to bring extra batteries for my IEM and that my iPad/iPhone is fully charged for its FOH & personal monitor mix. I wouldn't want it for lyrics though, but if I needed music charts to play jazz standards with complex chord changes, new to me songs, or requests, having the iPad as my charts would make be really helpful for me.

Guitar George

Lucidology likes this.
  14. Seymour Cash

Seymour Cash Supporting Member

I have to strap on a piece of wood, fire up equipment, get a sound appropriate for the song, and then learn the song by ear. Which I don't mind doing, because it comes with the territory. A singer has to listen to a song on earbuds whilst he/she goes about their day. No equipment, no getting a sound, no setting aside time. If they are not Robert Plant, that cheatsheet is going to burn.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:35 PM
    Hamer95USA and CRBMoA like this.
  15. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I choose not to dance on the head of that pin with you. :YinYang

16. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Then you shouldn’t have brought up the pin.

Peace.

17. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I played with a guy who used a 3" binder on a music stand, I called it "the book of shame".

ned7flat5, chillybilly and CRBMoA like this.
  18. 8len8

8len8 Member

I’ve not joined bands if the lead singer couldn’t remember lyrics. It kills stage presence to have the lead singer looking down half the time.

19. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

This ! We all have IPads or some sort of tablet, but NO music stands! We all control our IEM's and trigger lights etc. Our lead vox has lyrics as a security blanket, but the guy can remember lyrics like a karoke machine.

Pidgin English likes this.
  20. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

It doesn't look good in my opinion.

I used to have tabs on all the songs we played gigs on sheets of paper on stage, more as a way to stiffen off my insecurity than that I really needed them.

Just as a sort of fail safe in case I suddenly should panic and black out forgetting what I was supposed to play.

However for some reason at some point I didn't feel the need for it anymore, even when playing in a band with much more complex songs, though at that point also having considerably more experience.

I guess my point is that the singer might actually know the songs well, but just for some reason hangs on to the comfort of having the lyrics should he suddenly forget.

Mots of all in the end it's a bad habit though that gives a somewhat false sense of security.

Things can still go wrong, and you just have to come to terms with that, though clinging on to a piece of paper if you panic won't really help you much in reality.