Does your wife know your gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by T Dizz, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Same here...

I never have more than 5 pedals hooked up so I must only have 5 pedals, right?

2. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

Mine does. She's been a huge part in my collection getting as out of hand as it is.

uab9253 likes this.
  3. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    My wife knows my gear. I tell her when a new piece is incoming and what it is.

One year, when I was with Schecter, I brought her to the NAMM show. She got so good at knowing the gear in the booth that when Elliot Randall came into the booth and started asking questions, she handled it.

uab9253, IAO and drjenkins like this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Member

She used to when I had the same guitar for years. Then I went through about 30 different ones and she stopped paying attention and caring when she recognized a pattern forming.

Lt Dak likes this.
  5. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

My girlfriend knows I have a ton of crap, but her knowledge is limited.

• She prefers my acoustic guitars over my electric guitars, and hates my synths and drum machines. She absolutely loathes my Eurorack modular.
    • I don’t think she knows how many guitars I actually have. Case in point, she refers to The Martin, and I never correct her by asking which one.
    • She refers to all amps, heads and speaker cabinets as “boxes” and is disinterested in learning the difference.
    • She bought a Gibson J45 for me, but prefers my Taylor. She thinks it’s prettier.
    • She hates my black “devil horn” guitar (Gibson SG).
    • She loves the Yamaha digital piano I bought for us to share.
    • She has a very high level grasp of what pedals do, and she hates them. She refuses to believe me when I point out a song that she likes that made use of pedals.
    • She recognizes some brands (Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Fender, Moog, Marshall) as good names, but know less about more obscure brands. She know enough to associate Orange with “loud as ****.”
    • She doesn’t understand why I “need” so much crap, and she’s probably right.
    • She refers all cables/cords as “wires” and doesn’t understand why there are so many.
    • I'm pretty sure her head almost exploded once when I attempted to explain what MIDI was and how it worked.
    • She knows what a box from Sweetwater or Perfect Circuit Audio looks like and what it means, but she doesn’t seem to get excited when her copy of the new Sweetwater catalog shows up.
    • She has bought gear for me that she has no earthly idea what it does.

6. uab9253

uab9253 Member

Mine has watched enough YouTube videos with me that she probably could get about halfway there. Knows the difference between a Bigsby and a Floyd, as well as humbucker vs single coil.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    T Dizz and pepedede like this.
  7. Skullkrusher

Skullkrusher Member

My girlfriend appreciates guitars, so I get to keep them in the living room. She knows all of my guitars and my two amps, not really sure if she's interested in my pedals (of which there are only five anyways). She likes most of them, except for my rocket red Charvel San Dimas.

T Dizz likes this.
  8. uab9253

uab9253 Member

This is awesome! We're all kinda married to the same woman. God bless them all for all of our crap they put up with!

T Dizz and Astronaut FX like this.
  9. RCM78

RCM78 Member

My wife is in the biz. She often knows more about gear I'm considering then what I can find on line. She specializes in pro audio...

10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

My wife knows I have a studio full of guitars and amps.

She knows I have A LOT of guitars, but not an exact number.

We're at the point now that I can buy as many guitars or amps I want as long as I sell gear out of my collection to fund it.

It's really nice having a son who's a monster musician.
    He's the reason I was able to build up my collection to where it is now.

Now I'm pretty much set to do what I want.

uab9253, A_J19 and T Dizz like this.
  11. skunizzi

skunizzi Member

Mine does not and I want to keep it that way. How else can I keep sneeking in more guitars?

12. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

My s/o knows a decent amount. She pays attention to what I have, and knows my tendencies and what I like to buy, and what I have.

She couldn't tell me what pickup is in what guitar, or what a coil tap is, but she knows the basics.

T Dizz likes this.
  13. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

No but she’s definitely mentions it when the little sweetwater bags of candy show up around the house.
    She also knows the number of guitars if not the actual guitars. The “little boxes” are a mystery to her.

uab9253 and T Dizz like this.
  14. PRSAtomic

PRSAtomic Supporting Member

Damn, that sex change went real well.

uab9253 likes this.
  15. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Not too specifically, but she's taken to reading Guitar Players that are lying around so I can't fly under the radar as much as I used to! Fortunately, I bought it all already. She does concentrate on the artist articles more than the gear, but I think she has been educated at least somewhat.

16. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Member

Wifey knows the difference between a Telecaster and a Les Paul and that Marshalls have lots of gold knobs. But most of all she never says I have too much gear. :)

17. LarryBirdsFace

LarryBirdsFace Member

She knows
    "The red one" - ES-339
    "The slide-y one" - Lap Steel
    "The big one, a bass maybe?"
    "The brownish one that you play the most" - Strat

18. Gary J

Gary J Member

She just knows I have too much, and she's right.

PRSAtomic likes this.
  19. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Shhhh...
    I'm a charter member of The Men Who Hide Guitars From Their Wives Club.

PRSAtomic and Arcadia like this.
  20. s2y

s2y Member

My wife isn't musically inclined, doesn't listen to much music, no hobbies, not much of a "details" person. She might know the difference between electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and bass guitar. Not much beyond that.

LonewolfSX likes this.