Does your Zendrive lose bass like a TS?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gary Brennan, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Just curious if anyone else notices a disappearing bottom end with their Zendrive, like a TS, or does mine need service? Thanks,

gb

2. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

no, no service is needed. it cuts bass alot. it's much like a TS....

just like a VERY flexible ts that can do other stuff a bit too...

3. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Hi Gary!

My Zendrive also loses bass, so yours is probably functioning normally.

Right now, I much prefer my MI Audio Blues Pro for a smooth singing type of overdrive. It has a full bass response but still sounds clear. The BP's dynamics are at least as good as the Zendrive's, and I like its harmonic "texture" better also.

Jim

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i dunno, my zendrive has a lotta bottom end.
    Code:

5. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Like others have said, it's a "TS Like" pedal. However, it is warmer and smoother. Try pushing a Zendrive with a TS9 or 808 it's a sweet warm "rounder" sound, even with a bridge pickup on a strat with a high gain amp's clean channel.

6. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

No bass loss here...

7. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

The Zendrive does have some heavy mids, but the bass loss on my unit is very slight -- certainly nothing like the bass cut on a TS. If the Zen had more highs and lows it would lose some of the singing qualities that make it such a great pedal for soloing, IMO.

8. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

TS like? I don't think it's even close? They are both overdrives, yes, but in comparison to my TS808 & TS10, which do cut bass and boost mids, it is a very balanced and well voiced pedal. Increace the bass and it would get mushy. You need to find a sweet spot on the voice control. With a BF super for me it's around 1-3 o clock.

A lot of people, myself included, use a TS as a boost, which is where I feel it excels; keeping the gain low and the volume high. It drives an amp into overdrive or makes an already overdriven amp sing. I feel the zen excels at just the opposite; use with a clean tone and it acts as your OD channel. That's probably why people run a TS or another boost into the zen, they treat the zen like an overdriven amp.

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

FYI, I'm just the opposite. I have a Voodoo modded JCM800 that is super dynamic. I add a TS-# to compress the dynamics and increase the attack for a tone that I consider more of a fusion type tone.

10. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

That makes sense. It would compress the tone and make it more fluid. How do you set the TS to accomplish this?

11. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

No loss in bass, at all. Infact it is that Dumble/Robben Ford mid and great bottom end that makes me just love this pedal beyond any other pedal I have heard/used to date.

You guys with the bass problems may just be forgetting the other varibles in the mix, i.e, guitars, pickups, amps, settings, strings, etc, etc.

There's no the Zendrive sounds the same as a TS9/TS 808, as I have them to copare. Totally different beasts in my experience.

DD

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Don't currently own a TS, so I can't offer a true A/B with my Zendrive. But I just A/B'ed my Zen yesterday with my MIAudio Blue Boy, and without a doubt, with my rig, for me (did I qualify this enough??!!) there is less bottom end with the Zen.

When switched between no effect and the BB (set to any level of gain) 100% of my low end is there, and it's just not the case with any setting on my Zen. But it was well stated earlier that this may be what makes the Zen work soooo well when at stage volume in a band mix. Honestly, I've heard a bit of mid boost and bottom-loss since the day I got the Zen, but it wasn't really as apparent until I a/b'ed it with the BB yesterday.

I have to say that it's been months since my BB was on my board, and like many times before, every time the BB is back on the board I say "Wow". I love my Zen and my Mos, but man, that BB has mucho balls and top-end scream that my Zen/Mos don't have. OT a bit, but just wanted to comment!

13. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Its suprising how much varience there is to responses about the Zendrive's bottom end. The bass deficit in mine is sizeable, regardless of guitars, pups, or amps used. Some concur, some have not experienced this at all. Maybe Alf will see this and have some input?

gb

14. K-man

K-man Member

I'm sure they are all the same circuit, so the differences people are hearing probably have more to do with the rest of their rig. I'm still waiting for my Zendrive.

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Exactly my thought: rig/player-dependent! Highly likely that there is nothing "wrong" with anyone's Zen on this front.

The Zen (and Mos) are GREAT pedals, and IMO it's not always about complete transparency and full fidelity (most of us use tubes, right!!).

Enjoy that Zen!

16. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

NO offense, but the people saying there is no bass loss on a Zendrive are just not hearing it....

Run it into a frequency/EQ analyzer and then you can actually see the results...

This isn't a subjective question. it's a fact.

Try it and find out for yourself, but the Zendrive cuts some lower freq. bass...

-j

PS-IMHO :D

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm not doubting you (haven't gotten my Zendrive yet) but maybe the confusion is due to the vagueness of the word "bass".

If you sent it through a frequency analyzer, which specific frequencies are lost or attenuated?

There's bass and there's bass. Good bass, and flabby bass.

Since I'm hearing folks say they aren't losing it, I take it to mean they aren't losing any of the lower frequencies they want.

18. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

This does make for interesting discussion. I still maintain my bass blooms beautifully through my mesa amp (mullard valves), with my SC/HB equipped EBMM Steve Morse guitar. As you said Gary, it would be intersting to see what Alf has to say about all this.

To finish, I don't really care if there is bottom loss, the Zen is just simply marvelous for giving me the sound I am trying to achieve.

DD

19. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

This pedal isn't a crunch pedal am I right? Are the bottom-end victims perhaps used to HUGE bottom end which is quintessentially a Fender [bass cap] Eq? IMO anyone thinking about using tons of bottom end should think about playing a BASS guitar. There is no way (well actually one-jazz clean accompaniment or country) a guitarist can survive in the mix with oodles of bass. My reponse to the MI AUDIO BB, I have one, too, is that the pedal TRIES to add some bass. The BB like most OD pedal frequently actually ADD lower mids as opposed a true bass signal an tube amp can create, IMO. That is why pedals generally sound like pedals. Anyone complaining that a lead type OD is cutting bass should be using a TMB, a TIM, or a Stage Hog. A BJF depending on the model would be great, too. The Truest Bass resenance a GUITARIST could possibly hope for, for chords or leads, is by pluging straight into an amp. Most Fender being having very dominating bass caps, but Paul Cochrane or Bjorn, I am sure could expand on this area much better me, max maven.

20. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

This may be very true actually. IMO, it cuts bass differently than a TS does-it's a lot less noticable/dramatic when compared to an 808, TS9, etc...it cuts out the flabby EQ section of bass along with some good mid to upper bass, and highlights the lower mids or upper lows....making for a very thin pedal if used for low gain rhythm, but again, not as bad as a TS-9....

I would agree that many people may prefer this sound...it's a very good mid-gain lead pedal IMO...

AND, odds are, it's less noticable on single coils, so i would venture to say that those saying the bass is fine play a rig that doesn't require an extremely full sound...

-j