Just got a call from my mother, they're on their way back from wintering in Florida, and today the chocolate lab rescue Lilly's belly was swollen and firm. She tried to vomit but couldn't get anything up and was very lethargic. So they pulled off at a larger town, and found a vet. Vet diagnosed twisted stomach, and said she needed surgery immediately. Made arrangements with a hospital 45 minutes away. About half into the drive my mom smelled intestinal gas, the dog had died and her muscles released. http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/gastric-volvulus-bloat-dogs So, they are on their way up with a dead dog in the back of the van. Going to miss the last boat, and tomorrow they'll take her remains to our vet who will have her cremated. We haven't had this dog for very long, only about 2 years. She was a rescue from a puppy mill, and over bred. Not socialized, and the only lab I've ever known that didn't know how to retrieve or like the water. She was getting better retrieving, and no longer walked around puddles or freaked out when the grass was wet with dew in the morning. She was gentle and very sweet and a perfect dog for my parents at this stage in their lives. I am unbelievably sad, I was looking forward to having her up here again, seeing how she'd react to coming back to this house. I even bought a large bunch of bananas, her favorite treat. Still weeping about Prince a few days ago, and now I'm in tears. With the other dogs, we had them out down and were prepared (as much as you ever can be) for it. Some pics: Hi there! What's that?! Squirrel! And she used to sleep like this. It was very cure the way she'd "snore"- whistle on the intake of breath and lips flapping on the exhale. Cartoonish.