dog safety or owner paranoia ?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

When you are walking your dog, letting him play in your yard or out in the fields exploring do you bring any type of protection from an attack by a stray or unleashed aggressive dog ?

Just curious. I ordered mace. Over reaction or common sense ?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Absolutely. I used to carry a gun, but then I realized that even in that situation I would rather not kill a dog, so I got pepper spray. The kind you use on bears.

3. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I ordered something called

1x Muzzle Dog Pepper Spray - 2-Pack (Save $4.00)

Hope it is strong enough. I was considering the Bear spray.

4. s2y

s2y Member

No vicious dogs in my area. I'm still on the lookout.

5. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I had a dog viscously attack then stalked me and my dog while on a walk about 3 miles from home. It was crazy and frightening and I had nothing but my foot to kick it away as it kept attacking. I was losing it on this walk. I called the police on the owners but nothing was done. My dog years later now is so traumatized from that incident that he is terrified of other dogs now but his fear turns to out of control anger, he was fine prior, now he will even bite me if I try to stop his defensive act. It would have been great to have the spray.

6. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

ugh, I'm not a gun person but this has me strongly considering one. I don't want to over react. That is why I am asking for opinions. I definitely will carry the pepper spray and a knife. I hate that I have to even think about this but there is a dog nearby that concerns me.

7. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

A good stick and rock will help. When my situation occurred I was slow to do anything because I didn't want to hurt the other dog, well never again. It was probably 20 minutes of stalk, attack and repeat. Pure insanity. All I could do was hold my dog and kick away the stray. But seriously kicking it away didn't phase him. Meanwhile my dog in my arms is trying to attack back it was seriously terrifying. Good thing I didn't have a gun I'd likely have shot it. The spray should work.

8. TheTones

TheTones Member

Funny this came up. Just ordered some spray, hope never to use it but it's better alternative to a knife.

9. wetordry

wetordry Member

Ditto on the walking stick. Try not to pepper your own dog.
    Sometimes things are cool, and then it's a tangle.