Dogear P90 to Humbucker conversion

striker

Hi,
I need an advice whats the best way to convert a dogear'ed guitar to humbucker equipped one.
I own an sg junior (with single dogear in bridge position) and Im not happy with the p90 sound not in general, but in my current bands situation. I definetly need a humbucker. I love my sg and Im not willing to screw it up with any routing. At first I was looking for a boutique p90 sized humbuckers but they are rather expensive.

I have a really nice PAF but cant figure out a best way to solve this problem. I was measuring all the dimensions and came up with this idea that I think there should be a way to hide a humbucker under a dogear cover.
After a little research I found someone who has made the same thing:
http://www.acys-lounge.de/dogbuckers.html

As well something like this:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...u_QAhXGKywKHUG3DqUQMwhDKCEwIQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

I know these are not the best looking solutions in an esthetical way, but who cares as long as its working for temporary purpose and I dont have to spend much on a new boutique pickup or reroute the cavity of my guitar.

Maybe someone tryed either of these methods? maybe there are better solutions in this type of situation.
Looking forward to your answers.
Cheers!

Dr. Tinnitus

If you don't like the P-90, and your Junior is a newer model, I'd just cut further to add the space for a humbucker. If you like the P-90, but it just isn't suited for your band, get another guitar.

striker

Its a MIJ Tokai from around 2007, I really dont ant to mess ith it as it is a very nice instrument and it suits me very well in some situations. But in current band p90s are not the juice I need. At the moment I cant afford another guitar I think its cheaper to get a pickup and return the p90 back if needed after a while.

The question is if has anyone tried to fit the humbucker into the dogear housing. I think that there is enough of depth in the cavity for a humbucker to fit in.
the depth of cavity is 2,2cm plus the dogear cover hight is 1,1cm so it shoud be raound 3cm of height in general for a humbucker to fit..

Alvis

You know , you could just have a weak / so-so pickup in there......... Also they're "proximity sensitive" ....if they're not height adjusted in relationship to the strings , not gonna sound good. Dogears frequently need shimming
A common misconception is that humbuckers have more juice / balls/ oomph than p-90s .....Not even close to true . Well adjusted ,beefy p-90's can SMOKE PAFs all day long

Years ago I stumbled on the Duncan SP-90-1b and pretty much stopped there .I found it to be right on par with the pickup in my '63 Junior , a quite hot 60's p-90. I have that Duncan pickup in ALL my p-90 Les Pauls .They don't make it in a dogear ,but in five minutes one can remedy that
I've even stuck the SP-90-2b ,the Mike Ness / Social D pickup, in a couple guitars after changing the Magnets to A5....you want juice ....

As for routing ...if a rout is done tight ,you can rout for a humbucker and still have a dogear cover fit over it when you wanna put the p-90 back in like nothin ever happened

striker

You know , you could just have a weak / so-so pickup in there......... Also they're "proximity sensitive" ....if they're not height adjusted in relationship to the strings , not gonna sound good. Dogears frequently need shimming
A common misconception is that humbuckers have more juice / balls/ oomph than p-90s .....Not even close to true . Well adjusted ,beefy p-90's can SMOKE PAFs all day long

Years ago I stumbled on the Duncan SP-90-1b and pretty much stopped there .I found it to be right on par with the pickup in my '63 Junior , a quite hot 60's p-90. I have that Duncan pickup in ALL my p-90 Les Pauls .They don't make it in a dogear ,but in five minutes one can remedy that
I've even stuck the SP-90-2b ,the Mike Ness / Social D pickup, in a couple guitars after changing the Magnets to A5....you want juice ....

As for routing ...if a rout is done tight ,you can rout for a humbucker and still have a dogear cover fit over it when you wanna put the p-90 back in like nothin ever happened[/Q

Dont get me wrong, p90s are hell of a nice pickups but i dont think it could suit each style of playing. For example when I play thrashy riffs with lots of palm mutting it does not sound right and thats just one of the situations that i find my p90 not suiting my playing. I like some weird and original guitar tones and im not trying to replicate other players style or tone, but in certain band situation this pickup is not working for me.. thats it. I DO get a tone which is so-so but thats a big compromise..
p90s has THE juice and it can be supernice, but not today not for me. Still when I jam on other stuff away from my band I love my p90.

Trending Topics