Doing a Neck Thru Tele build - Jerrification Update

kralltime

Platinum Supporting Member
Decided to do a custom build with Travis on a unique telecaster platform. I was looking for a new "Jerry" platform - neck thru guitar with 3 strat single coils and a hardtail. Travis had some necks already glued up and ready - this one is a 5 piece maple and walnut. The wings are koa on mahogany (the koa was Travis' choice - looks awesome) - totally chambered wings for weight relief... shooting for under 7 pounds.

The pick guard in the photo is just a mock-up, we're planning something custom - it's an open route under there, so I can do whatever I want with pickup arrangements over time. This build is gonna have a set of D. Allen Voodoo 69s in it, but no special electronics - just 5 way strat. If I really bond with the playability - I'll plan on investing a bit more dough and upgrading the electronics to a modest Jerry configuration.

More to come - it's only been a couple weeks and it's already almost ready for finish.

Last edited:

kralltime

Love brass - love tortoise... I was even thinking something a little more psychedelic for the pick guard, but I can't put my finger on what exactly that could be....

kralltime

there definitely would be some kind of signature graphic - an alligator, a rosebud, a tiger, a wolf...
I think you're on to something here - instead of a control cavity graphic, it could be a pick guard graphic.

Stevo57

Your right. That all black guard is too plain. I've always liked the aged copper metal guards with some patina showing. I've seen some Walkers and Kolls with this type for example.

interesting. as cool as his guitar stuff evolved to be, my favorite playing and sound of his is on the Strats, and the early Wolf stuff. i'd be curious how this turns out. i'd be tempted to put a stratoblaster in there, though.

kralltime

It turned out real nice, but I decided to send her off for an upgrade - the blaster will be part of it!!

kralltime

The update is complete - we are now fully Jerrified! I can't say enough about how great Brian at IO Custom Guitars is... he did the new custom bridge and tailpiece work, a brass nut, the brass pick guard cutout to house the electronics, a custom set of pickups that he rolled himself, and he did all the Jerry electronic mods (Wald buffer, blaster with adjustable gain, OBEL...). His electronic work is truly a work of art!!
So, the guitar now plays, sounds, and looks fantastic!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom