Doing an amp shootout, need input!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by severinsteel, Apr 14, 2016.

1. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

Hey guys, so I'm putting together an amp shootout vid for YouTube.
    I have about 8 amps and I need your advice. Would you rather me set each amp to how I normally set it, or should I keep all of the tone controls at 12:00, and gain at say 3/4 of the way up?

Thanks!

Cam

eigentone likes this.
  2. mikesjam

mikesjam Member

I personally would prefer watching a demo where they are each set how they sound best, but still somewhat neutral setting wise (meaning not over the top gain or anything). I don't think putting all of the tone/gain controls at 12 is a fair comparison because some amps may sound fine that way, while others will need to have their EQ adjusted to match your rig.

3. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I'd say grab your best guitar, go straight in, play the same music/piece, and simply dial the amp best for the piece. Repeat for multiple pieces/styles (clean, pushed, crunchy, driven, etc).

Depending on what you're demonstrating, you may want to use the same cab and mic position for all amps. This will highlight the differences in the amps more effectively -- even though there may be more familiar pairings of amps with cabs/speaker, or even approaches to micing the cab.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    dwoverdrive, teleman1 and EADGBE like this.
  4. slybird

slybird Member

I think if you are doing the work you should do the demo exactly the way you want. Do it the way that you think corrects all the ways other people do amp demos wrong.

My only issues is bad sound (using iPhone/computer mics), and talking. Talking is a big turn off. I don't care what you have to say about the amp or what you are using, put that info in the 'Show More', we can read that info if we want.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Yeah play straight in. Set the amps to where you like them best. Play distorted riffs. Then play clean.

QRSS, BADHAK, teleman1 and 2 others like this.
  6. rummy

rummy Member

12:00 doesn't work on all amps. Set them to your liking.

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

This...also.. Play a les Paul, then play a Tele or Strat

8. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I don't understand why everyone is against talking. Sometimes people have interesting things to say.

I'd set up the amps how they sound the best. 12:00 tone controls are boring.

9. stevel

stevel Member

1. Tune your guitar.
    2. Don't talk for an hour before you play anything.
    3. Don't say "here's my clean tone" and it's overdriven.
    4. If you're demoing amps, don't put any other effect at all on the signal. No compression, no reverb, and especially no other dirt/boost pedals, etc.
    5. When comparing one amp to another, don't play one for 10 minutes, then switch to the other. You need to play a loop into them and A/B between them so one can hear the changes pretty close after each other.

Now, as for the video, it all depends on what it is you're trying to show. Why don't you tell us the amps and what you're trying to accomplish?

I would SO love to see someone compare blackface Princeton, Deluxe, Vibrolux, Pro, Super, and Twin Reverbs (Showmans and Bandmasters etc.) would be OK.

For a comparison like that, I want it to be "neutral" - B/M/T on 5. And, I'd like to see it done a couple of ways - all of them the same overall volume (meaning the Princeton dimed, the Deluxe on 6, the Super on 3, or whatever it takes, within reason) and all of them set to "5" or "3" or "10" or all of the above. Then you could set them to "what sounds best".

There's one video floating around with a bunch of low wattage amps all on 10.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't tell me anything but how ****** each one sounds on 10. That's great for the 13 year old who thinks they're going to buy a little amp and dime it to sound like their favorite postchilltraphardmetalcoredoom band, but most people don't just dime amps anymore.

IOW, if your video is not informative, it's not really worth doing.

If you've got two amps someone might typically be deciding between to buy, then it would be good to show how similar and/or dissimilar they are/can be.

It drives me crazy when I watch a demo of an extremely versatile amp and all they ever show is the gain maxed.

You've got two switches on the amp for vintage and modern, and tight and loose? Well I want to hear all the possible combinations.

"How I set it" is virtually useless unless someone's looking specifically for that type of tone (which may be as much credit to the guitar itself). In that case, a "comparison" video might be pointless, and you may be more informative just demoing a single amp.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  10. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Supporting Member

Aside from the above I'd just suggest:

- Use a real microphone and position it carefully to get the best representation of the amps' tones

- Edit the video so that the different amps' clips are back to back. Audio memory is short and people like me want to hear direct a/b comparison with no time for perception to alter. Talk about them after each round of a/b.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  11. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Use lots of pedals and play the shred that most shows off your skillz!

SlyStrat likes this.
  12. severinsteel

13. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

I agree. I think the whole "cranked" thing is a laugh. None of the amazing amps I have sound best dimed. Loud yes, that's different.
    Except the express. Crank that:)

14. severinsteel

Oh, here is the deal. This is going to be a high gain amp test. I'm re-amping the same guitar part though each amp. A portion of the test will be doubletracked/ hard panned with bass and drums, and for a portion I'll fade out into a single solo'ed guitar track, so you can get an idea of what it sounds like miked up by itself. Hopefully the best of both worlds. Inevitably, I'll get complaints that I didn't show how the amp sounded in context of a recording, or that I didn't show how the amp sounds miked by itself. This will show you guys both ways.

I'm using a single Shure SM57 on a Celestion Vintage 30 for each track. Industry standard.

I'm also including a few lower gain amps like a Marshall 2203, 2204, and a Soldano Aromic 16. For those, I'm going to add a TS9 Tubescreamer to boost them. Why a TS9? Because everyone pretty much has access to one. That way I'm getting a comparable gain level for all the amps involved.

I'm setting every amp to how I like it. You will be able to see exactly how I setup each amp in the video.

I'll post the vid when I'm done editing. It should be done in a few hours!

eigentone likes this.
  15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

One of the best amp demos I saw was a music store demoing a Mesa mini-rectifier. Watch this video and duplicate their method.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  16. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

If you want to compare have them all set at reltively the same settings without drastic changes. Maybe three different settings for each comparing all to those three different settings.

17. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

"1. Tune your guitar.
    2. Don't talk for an hour before you play anything.
    3. Don't say "here's my clean tone" and it's overdriven.
    4. If you're demoing amps, don't put any other effect at all on the signal. No compression, no reverb, and especially no other dirt/boost pedals, etc.
    5. When comparing one amp to another, don't play one for 10 minutes, then switch to the other. You need to play a loop into them and A/B between them so one can hear the changes pretty close after each other."

I agree with all that. I can't believe how many idiots do the opposite.

18. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, please no reverb or delay or other pedals, let's hear the amp on its merits, pure signal, direct connect.
    Some folks will do both, set it at neutral first and then the sweet spot, it helps.
    This is TGP, so keep as much constant, cabs, wires and just switch in the amps.
    Other than that, have some fun Man.

19. severinsteel

Here are the details:

This is a high gain amp shootout. I am choosing one channel per amp. The style is hard rock. The music is a portion of my band Atma Weapon’s song, ‘Clear Blue Skies’. I literally took the two original DI tracks from the album sessions, and re-amped each track though each amp.

Initially, you will hear the amp in the context of the song. That is, double-tracked guitars panned hard left and right. Towards the end of the clip, the drums and 2nd guitar track cut out, leaving a single centered guitar track. I want to show how the amp sounds in context of a recording, and how the amp sounds miked by itself. This will show you guys both ways.

Aside from the high gain amps. I'm also including a few lower gain amps like my Marshall 2203, 2204, and Soldano Aromic 16. ‘But you said this was a ‘high gain’ shootout!?’ Yes, it is! Back in the 80’s people boosted their Marshalls to get a high gain tones! That was the original high gain tone. Plus, I wanted to do a shootout with ALL of my amps, so there. For the low gain amps, I'm adding an Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer to boost them. Why a TS9? Because almost everyone knows about the TS-9, and they are easy to get a hold of. And aside from the Boss DS-1, this was the way it was done.

I'm setting every amp to how I like it. You will be able to see exactly how I set up each amp in the video. Just look at the pics of each amp while the demo rolls.

To mike the amp, I'm using a single Shure SM57 on a Celestion Vintage 30 for each track. Industry standard. The cab is a Mesa Boogie Traditional 4x12.

Anyway, let me know which amp was your favorite!

eigentone likes this.
  20. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

You seem like a fun guy. Nothing would be more riveting than a Fender clean amp shootout..

DiPa likes this.