Doing some repairs to my old Laney AOR30...capacitor questions

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Pott, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Pott

Pott Member

Hey y'all...

I just got my old Laney back yesterday, and having ordered the proper filter cap ages ago, replaced it. But of course I figured I may as well replace all the big electrolytics (only ones I can replace without access to the underside of the PCB, the whole board is basically stuck in place and I don't have the expertise, time and patience to unwire everything, replace all the caps, rewire everything as it was etc...)
    Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    I'm guessing the dark smudge on this 15uf 450V is a leak? The main filter cap was also leaked but I knew this from multimeter reading (right after the amp was off, it held only about 20V instead of over 250...)

So I want to replace all of these caps but Maplin don't carry them. Where do you guys think I could get the best for that job?

Here are some more guts pron:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Hotrox here in the UK carries 16uf caps with a 475V tolerance. Would that 1uf difference be a problem or can I safely replace these 4 big caps with them?

2. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

A 1 uf dif is well within the normal +/- tolerance for these kind of things. The xtra voltage tolerance is a good thing. you can go double the uf's on most of these power supplies without problems, and some people do in an attempt to eliminate hum. That's on the plate B+ to the power tubes, and maybe the screen grids....oversize caps on the preamp supplies can affect tone.

3. Pott

Pott Member

These caps go between power supplies and the preamp valves. Worse to come, I lose a little noise it seems, so I think I'll go for it then :p Thanks!

4. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

A 1 uf change won't make any discernible difference in anything. Some guys will double the stock size, or more. Now THAT makes a change.

5. Pott

Pott Member

Great thanks!
    They're £4 a piece though so I may wait a little or try ebay first. Yikes...

6. mockoman

mockoman Member

I think John Phillips is in your area. He is a very knowledgable tech; you could look him up if you need help.

7. Pott

Pott Member

Aye he is, haven't heard from him in a while, I'll see what he's up to. I don't want to bother anyone as far as I can do the work myself. Ordered the caps today!