Dokken, Ratt, Tesla, Skid Row.............why no Mr Big?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by guitarlix, Dec 23, 2009.

1. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

I hear all the regulars mentioned all the time with folks who love 80s hard rock. But never Mr. Big. I think Lean Into It is one of the best albums I've heard from that era.

Killer Guitarist - Paul Gilbert
    Killer Bassist - Billy Sheehan
    Killer Drummer - Pat Torpey
    Killer, KILLER Vocalist - Eric Martin (one of the best vocalists I've ever heard...period!)

I think this band came in at the wrong time.

http://www.youtube.com/v/OD-C-oS--xQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OD-C-oS--xQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

2. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest Supporting Member

Agreed on all points.

Paul Gilbert was the only shredder who I could stand to listen to. He actually made it melodic, which was/is rare in that genre, imo.

3. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

That's not true at all. There are a ton of great guitarists from that era....for example, here's Richie Kotzen w Mr Big ripping it up on Deep Purple's Burn.

http://www.youtube.com/v/KbVl3nPbLFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KbVl3nPbLFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Shredders will be shredders....good guitarists will be good guitarists. They're completely separate. Music can be fast or slow...they elicit different emotions. Neither is better. The problem I see on this forum is that the two are mixed up any time a non-blues lick is played.

4. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

True, true, true, true....all true. Still, the songcraft was a bit lacking, so the band was less memorable as a whole, no matter how strong the component parts. Even the massive hit, "To Be With You", doesn't rise to the level of a good Ratt song. And that's saying something.

Rob

5. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I'm a big fan of Gilbert and Sheehan (from way back, with Ozzy), but dang, that's way too much frizzy hair and not enough shirts. Hard to watch, easy to listen to.

6. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I love Paul Gilbert but I hated Mr. Big. Too poppy for me. I kinda got tired of the others too. Once I got into stuff like Slayer and Exodus back in the day, Dokken and Ratt just didn't do it for me anymore. Personal preference.

7. MichelleTele

MichelleTele Member

Mr. Big had some seriously killer tunes but they sounded almost like any other hair metal band.

Not to mention there's the "The better the players are the less known the band is" theory.

8. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I agree. Although they tore it up they didn't sound any different from anyone else. Kinda like Extreme. Great band but too generic and "happy". I was into brutality back then. Still am. lol

9. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I have to agree here. The songs weren't there.

10. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Great band. I still have Lean into it, there are some very well crafted songs on it for sure. I don't think they sounded anything like Ratt.

I guess I don't see them as being in the same class of Ratt, Dokken, Skid Row and thats fine. I would actually say Ratt was far more formulatic and pop driven then Mr. Big. Their music was more than just a single groove, a one note bass line and a huge guitar riff. Nothing wrong with that, I dig 80's rock/hair metal...Mr. Big was musically different, more subtance.

11. sws1

sws1 Member

Simply timing. They didn't come about until the end of the era. Those others were around for much longer. Virtually none of the bands towards the end will get the recognition that the early ones did.

12. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

13. jjboogie

jjboogie Supporting Member

They had no originality and weak songwriting comparatively speaking. Nothing wrong with their musicianship at all. They rip.

Their one time hit was an anomaly!

14. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Member

Eric Martin was the weak link for me in Mr. Big. I absolutely HATED his singing.

15. Erik

Erik Member

IMHO, they were too manufactured. They were all monster musicians, no doubt; but to me, they lacked that certain chemistry that great bands have. The sum of the parts was equal or less than the parts...those bands that seem to have "it" are usually different...the sum of the parts is greater than the individual parts.

16. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

My thoughts as well. By the time they got to the party the Grunge guys had already pissed in the punch.

Paul Gilbert can play circles around Dimartini, Lynch, and the Tesla Dudes but Mr. Big was going after a different audience. Had Paul shredded it up with that band it may have been a different story. At least in our little world.

17. madaxeman

madaxeman Member

I look at Mr. Big the same way as I see Journey, a band made up of killer musicians, even more so with Mr. Big. Two bands that had incredibly talented singers who wanted to turn them into a sugary pop band instead of a killer rock band. Both bands made millions though, apparently Mr.Big was/is as big as the Beatles in Japan so I doubt any of the player are complaining, but at the end of the day killer players are going to want to play killer music, not Top 40 pop.

18. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

this, I always got a Michael Bolton vibe from him... :barf

19. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

Love "Green Tinted Sixties Mind", and "Addicted to that Rush"..most of the rest, not so much. Great picker though.

20. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

I love Paul's playing, but Mr Big is like nails on a chalkboard to me.