• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Don Butler's AC30 mods=AWESOME

readymade

Just got my 95 AC30 back from Don, and I have to say that the mods he performed really took a great amp and made it incredible. The tone controls seem more usable and the thing just sounds perfect. It's nice when the tone in your head actually comes out of your amp! I can't wait to record in a few weeks.

That is all. :)

zoooombiex

+1 I had him do an AC-30CC and it sounds great. I had a stock one at the same time and there was definitely a significant improvement IMO.

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
90's AC30 6/tbx. Sounds even better now and I am confident it's more reliable. Plus, Don is such a great guy to work with knows what he's doing. Can't go wrong with the Toneman :bow

Meriphew

What all did you guys have done, how long did it take, and how much $ did it cost? I have a 2002 AC30 TBX that I've been thinking about sending to Don.

zoooombiex

I had the standard AC-30 mods done. They cost about $400 plus shipping both ways. Not cheap, but he upgrades the transformers and choke and brings it to vintage specs. He's a great guy to work with too.

readymade

I had the standard AC-30 mods done. They cost about $400 plus shipping both ways. Not cheap, but he upgrades the transformers and choke and brings it to vintage specs. He's a great guy to work with too.
I had the same mods performed. I'm in NJ, so the shipping took some time, but the actual work was done in about a week--very quick turn around, all things considered.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
AC15H1TV, about 9 months ago now. Just took an already great sounding amp to the next level.

mbargav

Silver Supporting Member
I'm thinking of sending my CC head in for the mods. Does Don Butler install power scaling? I'd love to ditch the MV for power scaling.

Hamer95USA

Has anyone had Don Butler (aka Toneman) perform his Vox mods on a Vox AC15CC1 1x12 combo amp? I'm either considering having his Vox amp mod or buying a Vox AC15C1 and selling my Vox AC15CC1 amp. Any opinions?

Guitar George

neutronrobot

+1 I had him do an AC-30CC and it sounds great. I had a stock one at the same time and there was definitely a significant improvement IMO.
I've been researching having my AC30CC modded by Toneman as well. I was wondering; how does the mod affect the switchable filters and bias on the back of the amp? Do you still have two different values for the "Warm" and "Hot" bias and "Vintage" and "Modern" smoothing?
Or is the amp permanently locked into one more vintage correct setting?

zoooombiex

I've been researching having my AC30CC modded by Toneman as well. I was wondering; how does the mod affect the switchable filters and bias on the back of the amp? Do you still have two different values for the "Warm" and "Hot" bias and "Vintage" and "Modern" smoothing?
Or is the amp permanently locked into one more vintage correct setting?
The switches still work - they are not locked into one or the other. But I think he does tweak them.

PGLive

True Tone will only be achieved in Heaven
Gold Supporting Member
Don is still in Santa Clarita Ca.. He is a great guy and does some awesome work. He modded my Crate V15, New OT, Choke and changed out other components.. The amp sounds amazing..No longer just a Crate V15..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom