Don Felder vs Line6

From an interview with Don Felder of the Eagles:

How did you get that incredible guitar sound on “One of These Nights”?

That’s the ’59 Les Paul into the narrow-panel Tweed Deluxe again. That amp has a very unique sound. I have about six of them, but that particular one has a real sweet spot, because of the speaker and the way it’s wired. The combination of the ’59 Les Paul and the Tweed Deluxe is a very common sound of mine. Line 6 wanted to take that amp and make an emulation of it, and I said no because I don’t want everyone to sound like me. I have to keep my tone kind of separate and secret.

Good luck with that, Don... ;)

chillybilly

I applaud his stance, but also acknowledge that he has some financial independence that allows him to take that stance. Obviously it didn't prevent him from endorsing a Les Paul model.

Cynically, I think he also didn't want an emulation that might not have measured up to have his name attached to it.

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
From an interview with Don Felder of the Eagles:

How did you get that incredible guitar sound on “One of These Nights”?

That’s the ’59 Les Paul into the narrow-panel Tweed Deluxe again. That amp has a very unique sound. I have about six of them, but that particular one has a real sweet spot, because of the speaker and the way it’s wired. The combination of the ’59 Les Paul and the Tweed Deluxe is a very common sound of mine. Line 6 wanted to take that amp and make an emulation of it, and I said no because I don’t want everyone to sound like me. I have to keep my tone kind of separate and secret.

Good luck with that, Don... ;)

Well done Don!

Better send it to Fractal, they will do it justice.

JohnB

i dont think don needed to worry about the emulation. plus he has a very distinct playing style that is 99% of his sound anyway.

maybe it was really a fight over branding and royalties :)

green72

Silver Supporting Member
078124341b10dc5c350828a79a81a1ee.jpg

Pedal Dan

The Island of Misfit Pedals
Good...

I don't want to sound like Felder.

Now Joe on the other hand... 8^]

Zacflame

give me joe walsh, could care less about those other ones, thought i was the only one who depises the eagles

Digital Igloo

From an interview with Don Felder of the Eagles: Line 6 wanted to take that amp and make an emulation of it, and I said no because I don’t want everyone to sound like me. I have to keep my tone kind of separate and secret.
Not saying it didn't happen, but I've been here since May of 2010 and have never heard that. Might've been a long time ago.

C-4

I like Felder's playing and respect his talent, but shouldn't he know that no matter what he sounds like, if he gave his guitar to another player to try, they would not sound like him. So what difference would it make if he did give his sound to any digital company to reproduce?

Eddie was the same way. I believe that once you get to a certain level and age in playing that you should stop with the secrets already. After awhile it starts to sound like kiddie poop. ymmv

Personally, I try to get my sound based on a violin or cello, and that's fine at that point. Add or take away some "secret" incredients and the sound gets cleaner or dirtier to taste.

What are the secret incredients? Ssshhhh. I can't tell you...it's a secret! (face palm)

Imerkat

Silver Supporting Member
how invasive is the amp emulation? I figure they have to take it apart to digitally create the specs of the components

C-4

I would think that measuring each amp component can be done by using test gear on each point on the chassis that a company is measuring for amp reproduction without taking the amp apart. Even Felder would have to eventually change the tubes, which would mean removing the back panel, which exposes the chassis wiring to get to the tubes.

I would think it would be less invasive then disassembling Jimmy Page's #1 LP to measure everything. If Jimmy had no problem with that, and he certainly had every right too, and since Felder let Gibson reproduce his '59, why would he have a problem with the amp?

Felder is absolutely a great player, but I don't see him being in such demand at this point that he should be afraid every player will be copying his exact sound. WTF?! :)

mikebat

Does Felder still think he has something to prove? Don, you don't.

He has an incredible discography/legacy, no one using an emulation of his amp can ever take that away.

Is he making groundbreaking music today, and doesn't want the competition?

I don't understand what he is trying to protect.

randombastage

Gold Supporting Member
Does Felder still think he has something to prove? Don, you don't.

He has an incredible discography/legacy, no one using an emulation of his amp can ever take that away.

Is he making groundbreaking music today, and doesn't want the competition?

I don't understand what he is trying to protect.

Maybe he thinks he protects his legacy by creating mystique.

At the same time gives a compliment to Line 6 suggesting they have mastered the technology to capture his mojo and put it in a box.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom