don grosh blend control question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by skydog, Mar 18, 2006.

1. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Dealing strictly with a Don Grosh model:
    There are the following positions on a 5 way switch:
    1) neck only
    2) neck & middle
    3) middle only
    4) middle & bridge
    5) bridge only

With the addition of a blend control push/pull split what additional controls are gained?

2. Luke

Luke Senior Member

3. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Thanks, Luke. I'd been to the site, but overlooked the FAQ's.

4. KLB

KLB Member

If you tend to solo on the Bridge pickup, have the bridge blended to the 5-way so you get the bridge only at position #1.

Otherwise, have the neck pickup blended to the 5-way and you get the neck only at position #5.

Normally, the blend pot is modified (carbon trace scraped off) so that when set at "one", the blended pickup completely drops out of the circuit.

You can also do the "scrape the carbon trace" mod to the tone control so it drops out at "10".

5. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

KLB: Thanks for the info. I did a forum search for the carbon scraping mod and linked to a very informative post on Wagner SR's. This piqued my interest so I went to the Wagner site. I see they have discontinued the SR's. Probably a good thing, it will save me some money! I have a Grosh Bent Top with the HSS configuration. For clarity, when you speak of the #1 setting are you referring to the bridge pickup or the neck pickup? If I understand the stock setup on the Grosh, if the p/u selector is in the bridge/middle position (#2?) and the blend pot is pulled and at #1, very little of the neck p/u is "in the mix". Advancing it to #10 will gradually mix in more and more neck p/u. Is this correct so far? At #10, what is the approximate p/u mix formula? Thanks, and my apologizies at being an absolute beginner at this.

6. KLB

KLB Member

Skydog,
    Sorry about the confusion. I see now in your original post you call the #1 position for the neck.

I have always started with the Bridge pu for #1 and worked my way to #5 for the neck.

By the way, if you do the tone control mod and you don't want it to "pop" when going from disconnected to in-circuit (after sitting a while out of circuit, it will do this), put a 10 or 22 meg resistor across the outer two lugs. This will keep the cap charged, but essentially out of circuit.