Don Grosh is one great guy.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by tele_phil, Jan 30, 2012.

1. tele_phil

tele_phil Member

I was just down at the Grosh factory with my daughter who has an ElectraJet custom on order. Don gave her the factory tour and spent about 30 minutes working out the exact colors and scheme of her guitar with her. He was mixing paints and doing small dabs inside the pickup route to give her an idea of what each would look like. Don and my daughter came up with something that will certainly look very cool and be exactly what my daughter had in mind.

On the drive home my daughter said, "I wonder if you could do something like that at Fender." My response was, "Only if you are Eric Clapton."

I'm sure this will be a guitar that my daughter keeps for life. I'll post photos in ~3 weeks when the guitar is done.

2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Very cool. I wonder if I'll get a chance to do something like this for my daughter someday.

3. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Great story - where's the "Like" button on TGP?

Wish their workshop wasn't a billion trillion miles from where I live...would love to do the factory tour there one day...

4. 5992

5992 Member

I live about half a mile from the Grosh factory. I've always wanted to take a tour, but I won't ever be able to afford one of his guitars, so I don't want to waste his time.

5. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

cool story. Looking forward to the pictures.

6. ASATlove

ASATlove Supporting Member

Ditto.......

I think you CAN do the same thing at Fender.....But it would cost you about five times more...

7. Craig Gates

Craig Gates Member

Wow - that's great! I too would love to be able to do something like this with my daughter someday... and I look forward to the photos!

8. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

You should really consider doing a tour. You never know what the future might bring for ya. Don and crew is really great. I am sure they would love to see you.

:)

9. schlagsaite

schlagsaite Member

That's a great story! Thanks!
    :cool:

10. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

awesome stuff! pics will be the added bonus (in 3 weeks)

11. stout-hearted

stout-hearted Member

That is a great story. Though I've never been there, I've always felt like my phone calls and emails were more than welcome by whoever took the call or read the letter. Don is great surrounded with first class people.

12. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

No question: Don is one of the best, employs some of the best, and turns out some of the best!

13. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I spoke with Don myself once about a guitar. He was a really nice guy. AND, I think he makes the finest guitars in the business. That should be my signature...

14. tele_phil

tele_phil Member

I picked up my daughter's new ElectraJet Custom today at the Grosh shop. Don did an amazing job with the color scheme that my daughter worked out with him (Trans Waimea Burst). Here's a photo that Brent took in their studio. I'll shoot some pics on Saturday. My daughter has been playing it for the last 90 minutes and shows no signs of slowing down.

[​IMG]

15. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Phil,

That guitar is gorgeous! Do you want to adopt me? :)

Did Yiu have to customize the neck such as strings spacing, nut, neck thickness, scale length accomodate your daughter? Or was she old enough to play standard configuration?

Share the specs of this beauty with us.

16. tele_phil

tele_phil Member

She actually paid for a big chunk of it herself. If you are willing to do the dishes, clean up the dog poop, and shovel the sidewalk we might be able to work something out. :rotflmao

At 12 years old my daughter is 5'9" tall and has hands fully capable of playing the 25.5" scale. She actually prefers that over the 24.75" scale. It has a the medium wide neck profile, standard nut width, stainless steel frets, 302 neck pu, 327 bridge pu, strap locks, and coil tap. I haven't had a chance to play it yet as she won't set it down, but I can definitely say that it sounds AWESOME.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  17. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

^^^ Holy Pacific Lagoons Batman....That is one AWESOME finish!! I am guessing 302/327 pickup combo, with coil tap? :dude

Hope your daughter ROCKS it!! My 12 year old son has been strongly hinting at an Electrajet for himself...if he ever gives me mine back!

EDIT: Just read your specs on the second page.... Too Cool! :aok

18. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful guitar & great father daughter story!
    All the best Paul

19. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Oh my, that is absolutely gorgeous.

12 years old huh? I hope she knows how lucky she is, when I was 15 all I got was a brand new 1967 Gibson ES-335TD for $225..........these kids are spoiled today!

20. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

She's a beauty!! Congrats!! Daddy loves his girl!! :)