Don Grosh making his own pickups

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by bearbike137, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

I took delivery of a new Grosh Retro Classic last weekend and it is killer. What makes the guitar extra special is that it is loaded with the new pickups that Don Grosh is making himself. I had him load it wth a Grosh Fat 60's in the bridge, and a Grosh Vintage 60's in the neck and middle. Those pups are amazing -- best single coil Strat pups I have heard (my favorite prior to these was Fralins Blues Specials). Don's pickups are robust and dynamic, and have great harmonics. Don Grosh has been my favorite electric guitar builder, but the addition of making his own pickups has put him over the top. I wonder if anyone else has tried his pickups?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I thought Don has been winding pickups for years. People just seemed to always order them with Fralins or Dimarzios or whatever, but I could be wrong. Good to know he's winding some good pickups.

3. iggs

iggs Member

Are they noiseless?

4. bearbike137

Nope.

5. donostia13

donostia13 Member

Take any pics yet? I love the Grosh RC guitars and might order one soon.

6. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I love my Grosh...

[​IMG]

I bet Don's pickups are fantastic.

7. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

The Grosh Cat's just started working on pickups. I was there when the first one was attempted. They did a TON of research on the subject. I have played the Single Coils, Humbuckers and the P-90's. If Don and the crew put their mind to a project, they usually blow my mind with what they come up with. The new pickups are no exception.

GREAT stuff!!

:AOK

8. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

My favorite guitars these days. Don really knows how to make bona fide improvements. He's an innovator. I bet his pickups will complement his guitars fantastically!

9. strattitude

strattitude Member

I got a nearly new RC on ebay about 5 months ago, alder body, rosewood fb, Fralin Vintage hots w bassplate on bridge pup. 6105 frets.

It really is a resonant guitar unplugged and grat sounding when plugged in. I also saw on the Grosh website about their own pickups. I bet they are great sounding!

Maybe it'll make Grosh stand even more out from the crowd??

10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I love my Grosh too!

[​IMG]

11. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

Sick Grosh!! :RoCkIn

12. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I have a new RC on order with Grosh's pickups. Vintage 60 neck and middle and Fat 60 with baseplate for the bridge. If they are better than the Fralin Vintage Hots (which I hear they are), I'm in for a real treat!!

13. bearbike137

I have to say -- the Fat 60's that is in the bridge position of my new Grosh RC is the very best Strat bridge pup I have ever EVER played. I honestly can't believe the harmonics and the sheer girth of the tone. The pup has such great harmonics that, last night, while I was listening to a playback of a lead solo I cut with it (and my Carr Mercury, no pedals) -- for a moment, I thought I had accidentally played back a double-track of the solo. It is unbelievable. I likey.

14. jamison162

Have you ever played the Fralin SP42 or SP43...if so how does the F60 compare in terms of output, push and mids?
    And are the V60's warmer and fuller like the Blues Specials or clearer and spankier like the Vintage Hots...or are they somewhere inbetween?

15. Robboman

Robboman Member

Thing is it's hard to compare any two pickups unless you can hear them in the exact same guitar. Still, matching just the right pickup with a great guitar is an art in itself. Sounds like you have a winning match!

16. bearbike137

Yeah, I have played and owned both a SP42 and SP43. I'm not really much a fan of those pups. I find them to be a bit too strong and not nuanced enough. I like pups to be a bit brighter and a bit more spanky than those are. The Fat 60 has less push, is brighter (not overly bright -- just brighter than the SPs), has more spank, a bit less mids, and surprisingly -- a bit more honk! However, like Robboman said, it is hard to compare unless you have had them in the same guitar and I have not.

17. jamison162

My new alder Grosh RC with Vintage 60 Neck/Middle and Fat 60 bridge will be in tomorrow!