Don Mare 60's vs Rumpelstilskin Pre-CBS vs D.Allen tru 62?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lespaulnmarshall, May 11, 2015.

1. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Hi everyone,
    I am working on an alder strat with rosweood board, so 60's style, I am looking for reviews/experiences/findings on the don mare 60's set, david allen tru 60's and Rumpelstilskin pre cbs.
    If anyone could compare two or all three of these sets that would be amazing!
    Basically all info is appreciated!
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  2. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

3. gmann

gmann Member

While I've bought many Don Mare pups over the yrs and been totally satisfied with every set, I don't find anything I like as much as www.rumpelstiltskinpickups.com pickups. Fast turnaround, relatively inexpensive and very easy to deal with. There really is no best as anyone who really knows will tell you, it's just what you're lookin' for and who you choose 1st that delivers what you're lookin' for, that's who you tend to favor. All props to Don Mare, a very passionate winder and a master pup builder, you can't go wrong here. I sorta have a relationship with Aaron, professional only as I've never met him, and he's always delivered. Any of the top guys can give you exactly what you want, more or less. We are fortunate to be able to choose fm so many great winders these days, I'm not even gonna mention any of the others 'cept to say I've gotten pups fm a lot of them and they've all been great. I think Aaron has to ability to nail what you describe, if you can accurately describe what you want, or what you're hearing. That's a lot of typing to basically say that whichever way you go, you'll probably be happy.

4. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

I agree, if you know exactly what you're looking for, any pick up winder out there can build pick ups to your exact specs.

I personally choose to go local for that matter (just like food actually), it's much nicer to be able to actually meet the guy you are working with!

5. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Thanks! I have listened to some clips of rumpelstiltskin pickups, I love the tone (as far as I can judge from youtube of course). I talked to Aaron and he said he could wind me a set relatively soon so that is good. Don Mare could also send me a set relatively soon for a good price since his are used. I decided not to go for D. Allen but perhaps budz, arcane or rocketfire are good options as well.
    Rocketfire easily gets over the 300$ mark sadly, but their pickups do sound amazing in my danocaster T.
    arcane might be hard to track down, but if I can find them probably a great option. Dan recommended me both Rocketfire and Arcane.
    Budz is probably great too however, they seem to be mostly tele focused, their S set isn't focused on being vintage accurate or even focused on a certain era at all, but I bet they sound great too!

I think I am leaning towards Rumpelstiltskin at this moment.
    Aaron is great to deal with and what I have heared of his pickups sounds great!

6. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor and check out kleinpickups.com. I really like what he has going on.

7. baiff

baiff Member

I had a set of David's Tru 62's. They were some vintage sounding pickups. I normally hate the 2 and 4 positions on a Strat but these had all the quack and harmonics that you would hope for. Ronnie Earl comes to mind when I think of these pickups.

8. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

9. terrapin

terrapin Member

IMO the Tru 62's are as good as anything out there for a 60's Strat sound. So woody and warm but with that magic high mid-range chime I hear in all David's Strat PU's.

10. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

My guitar tech install lots of pickups in new and vintage guitars. He recommended the Josie/Vaughn set for my guitar because of the rosewood neck. I previously had Lace Sensors, Texas Specials, and DiMarzio Areas in that guitar. The result with the Don Mare set is amazing--a really great sound both clean and with distortion.

11. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

When I tried the Dallens, he did not have the '62s out yet, so was not able to try them. I tried 3 of his sets. They all were very good and he is great to work with, he knew I wasn't completely happy with the first set, so he sent me 2 others and said just keep the ones you like and send back the other two. So, great props to the guy.

However, as much as I liked them, they weren't quite what I was looking for. I went through a bunch of sets because I wanted a better sound out of my working strat. My main one is a stock '60 I have had for decades and don't like to take out to bars much. I had Van Zandt's on there for years, tried lots of stuff. None really rung my bell til I tried the Mare fromvar 50s. Man, I love these pickups.

I will say this - I A/B'ed a bunch of pickups, spent months swapping them between guitars, recording and A/B listening. For most of them, the differences are subtle. Yes, there are differences, but it isn't like "oh, this pickup sounds wonderful and this one sounds like poo". Still, to me, Don's won.
    I also have a set of his Hayrides on my tele, twang heaven.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Scott Naylor likes this.
  12. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Another major props for Rumpelstilskin here. I have a set of his Pre-CBS in my slabboard strat and I love em'! Getting ready to refin my tele and I'm justifying it as an excuse to order a set of Black Rope tele pickups from Aaron :D

13. espinete

espinete Member

I've only tried the Rumpelstilskin Experience set. I told Aaron i wanted something like a Fralin Blues but a bit fuller. Very surprised with them. I've been comparing van zandt's blues-true vintage-vintage plus, suhr v60 and v60lp,fender:cs60,texas special,fat 50,scn,vintage noiseless,highway,hot noiseless,american series,std,cs time machine,etc.,. klein 1961,fralin vintage hot, blues,blues +7%, lollar bf, kindman woodstock.. and these ones are one of my favourite strat pickups

14. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I gotta give props to Don Mare. I have and do own a number of his pickups and sets and I genuinely like the way they perform and his customer service is above and beyond. I have a set of Rumpelstilskins on hand I will try now that you've sparked my interest.

15. louis

louis Supporting Member

Me too interested !

16. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

Bump! Looking at potentially getting some Rumpelstiltskin or maybe something else for CS 62 RI Strat. Looking for Knopfler/Rory Gallagher/ Doyle Bramhall tones. I feel like you can’t go wrong with any of them.

17. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I have a set of Rumpel Pre-CBS. Am very happy with them.

18. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I still have them in my slab board MJTele strat and can confirm, they're good for Rory Gallagher tones :D

bgio likes this.
  19. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

Of your choices I've only used Rumpelstiltskin. One thing to note is that Aaron can basically wind anything to your specifications. He has this uncanny ability to translate written descriptions into pickups that deliver exactly what you're after. Both my Strat and Tele have Rumpels, both based on the Tele White Rope set (so low wind, very even and clean). They were exactly what I was hoping for.

Of course, with these sorts of things I'm sure any of your choices will be great.