Don Mare pickups

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
I only have one of their models. A 0038 Tele bridge pickup, and it really nails that 50s maple board vibe.

Other Mare fans? Favourite pickup models?

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Don Mare Super Sport Bridge Pickup in my K-Line Tele for sale in the emporium...

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
The 0038 is the perfect Tele pickup for people who usually play p90s and PAFs. Fat and full and rich and not a harsh note to be found.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I have an inca silver, alder bodied tele, with roasted maple neck, a set of Don's Joel Foy pickups. Took a bit of experimentation to optimize. I finally got the neck up high enough under the strings. Opened up the sound, upped the volume. These pickups sound so beautiful, clear and fat at the same time. I don't usually like the bridge p/u on teles. But on this guitar, I use it all the time. Hot and tasty, no ice pick at all.

TeleTex82

Silver Supporting Member
They're great pickups, the wait time is kind of crazy though. Lots of other worthy winders out there.

Last edited:

Rick51

I have a Stelly neck and Supersport bridge in my #1 tele. Excellent. The Supersport nails the mid-60s Cropper sound. The Stelly is a Strat pickup wound on a Tele neck bobbin, does nicely.

He has a great reputation for making sure people get what they want, just tell him what you need. Top dog in my book.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
For about 10 years I looked for a mid 60's Strat sound and Don is one of the very few that got the vintage Fender sound right to my satisfaction using my old '64 Strat for reference. And his "Josie/Vaughn" set #001 is still in one of my favorite Strats.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I love his neck Tele pickups, both the ‘53 and ‘54. Lately, I’ve become enamored with his Hayride bridge pickup. Took about 8 months to get, though.

vortexxxx

They're great pickups, the wait time is kind of crazy though. Lots of other worthy winders out there though.
I'm not sure what the wait time is currently, but dont try to bribe him to speed it up a bit or you may get a very long story from him over the phone. ;)

Edit. I just saw the post above with the wait time. When I asked if he could speed it up a bit for someone famous who's Tele I was working on, the wait was only a month or two.

zhivago

I've been on the list for a Tweed Kong bridge pickup since the end of September...the last time I checked it was going to be about 6 more weeks of waiting.

I am sure it will be worth it, but at times I have actually forgotten that I am even building a guitar! :)

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
I have a set of super sports that came with a strat I purchased used from a seller here.

They sound great. I like them enough that I’m not curious to try anything else in the guitar.

gkoelling

This one is long gone but it had 2324 Nancy set #34 in it from back when all he was doing was that set and rewinds.
It absolutely nailed Roy's tone.
821bg006 by Greg Koelling, on Flickr

This one is still here and has a Super Sport in the bridge and S-Telly in the neck from back when they 1st came out.
009 by Greg Koelling, on Flickr

frank4001

I have a Stelly neck and Supersport bridge in my #1 tele. Excellent. The Supersport nails the mid-60s Cropper sound. The Stelly is a Strat pickup wound on a Tele neck bobbin, does nicely.

He has a great reputation for making sure people get what they want, just tell him what you need. Top dog in my book.
Have the same set in a G&L Asat for about 5 years maybe.
Love that guitar.
Don is geeat to deal with too.

sickboy79

I've got a couple Don Mare sets waiting to go into a few Teles. 0038 10k set and the Zep-o-tone Live set. I can't wait to install them. Just haven't figured out which guitars yet.

Trending Topics