Don Mare, sir the next beer is on me!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dillow4092, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

So I just had a 62 relic tele custom put together by my buddy at Philtone Guitar Co. He did a stellar job (as usual) on a head to toe project.

I bought a set of Don Mare pups. I got a S-telly for the neck, and a special wound hayride for the bridge per Don's suggestion.

Damn, now I see why his stuff is so damn good. The pups have balls, tone, and no ice picky crap. I'm calling this tele Black Bart, cause it's just baaaadddd asssssss!

Mr. Mare, the next beer is on me. I already took care of my man Phil, and Jay w/burritos!

2. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Agreed. I've tried two Mare pickups (Donocaster and the 0038) which are very different but equally killer. He makes great stuff!

3. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I want a set of Nancys real bad!!

4. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more! I was just posting in another thread about this, but I just installed a set of Mare's pickups in my tele too. An S-telly in the neck and an El Black Crow in the bridge. The guitars a CS 59 Fender NOS - rosewood board and ash body. Not only have the pickups warmed the guitar up, removed the harshness of the stock PU's and (importantly) added sustain, but they just sound amazing! Cutting but not harsh, sweet, percussive, punchy, full, balanced... hell, I could recite a whole dictionary of superlatives about them. That middle position with the S-telly is so glassy and bell-like. Needless to say Don makes a very harmonically rich and 'alive' sounding pickup! Very nice guy to do buisiness with too. If I ever need another set of single coils, he's my first stop.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  5. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Me too. I have a Super Sport (El Black Krowe bridge) set and it slays. I think some Zep-O-Tones (live) are next.

6. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I've got a set of Super Sports (S-Tele neck) in my Danocaster and while I don't have much experience with Tele pickups, I've had no desire to try anything else.

7. okie

okie Supporting Member

I'm running the Zep-O-Tones (live) in one of my Tele's, it's absolutely killer.

8. Dashface

Dashface Member

That's what I want too! Next time I get paid, it's on.

9. Sargeslide

Sargeslide Member

Just ordered a Stangray triple tap, gonna make a Classic Vibe into an Esquire!