Don Mare strat pickups anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Jan 30, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I've heard his name thrown around here and there, been to the website a few times...but never was seriously interested.

So I'm doing my homework and want to get some serious input from anyone with experience with Don's pickups. Any reviews or other input?

I know he is highly recommended and has a reputation for making a great pickup...but I'm a little confused on some other seemingly negative comments floating around the net.

Anyone? Thanks.....

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

3. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

He's a member here.

DonM.

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

If you're looking for a strat set,the WCR SR's are very nice,if you can get them...DM is primarily known for making the Telecaster pickups.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Well, if they're ANYTHING like Don's Tele pickups, they'll be REALLY good.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Well my strat is ash and I don't want to screw around, like to get it right and soon.

If he Tele pickups are all that, and his specs and discussion on his website is legit, I could only imagine he could wind some fine strat pickups as well.

7. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

PERIOD. If you can describe the sounds you want, Don can get you there. Plus, you haven't lived a full life until you've experienced a phone call with Don while he takes you through the sonic wonderland of his various winds.

The pickups in the Clemcaster (a T-style guitar) are wonderful, Never going to change 'em.

8. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

Agreed!
    I had some questions about Telecaster pickups awhile back and Don spent almost 30 minutes with me on the phone answering questions and playing examples of his pickups.
    I was rocking out to him playing some Stones over the phone. My wife thought I was crazy...

9. zion

zion Member

I've got Mares in my Tele and my Strat. Awesome! The Fralins in the strat were replaced by the Mares. Just a great traditional strat sound. It feels like more of the instrument is shining through. Definitely worth checking out!

10. Casey

Casey Member

:dude I would definitely agree with that!

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Hehehehe, oh Lord, what am I getting into. I've pulled up enough on this guy in one day to know it's gonna be interesting. :crazy:eek::NUTS

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have the SR's in my alder w/blond neck 2004 strat...and I have them set low,the pickups sound very vintage as does most of Jim's stuff.Let's hear about DM and his strat gig...

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Like I said, the proof is in the pudding. ;)

14. C.SCAN3

C.SCAN3 Member

Best set of pickups I have ever played! Enough said.

15. DonM

DonM Member

I was once taunted on other forums - this was for being a pickup swapping type - and a unashamed Roy Buchanan Tribute act,__ among needing his second album tone..__ that was reason enough for a group of members to start a "tone is all in your fingers" task force behind my back and then literately stalk all my threads until I was pissed off enough to mouth back at them and get them to stop it ( i did manage to get them to shut up ) but it was a -- HUGE MISTAKE -- its haunted me since...

it was treated like a Mall Santa that was not only Santa for the Mall gig - but Santa 24/7 365 a year (LOL) - funny this all according to people who knew nothing about me - and did not live by me and never once saw me in public - BUT - they would act like they did -so I was basically accused of being a Mall Santa 365 year round 24/7 this according to the same fellows ( - one I did see in person once - I ate dinner with him and others in the Valley here in Ca. ove at Buco de Beppos along with Elliot Easton - and to this day this one guy will not stop slandering my name around forums - and I really did nothing to him at all never!- never was something personal - so to this day I cannot figure it out.. I wish he'd move on though.. its sad..) so there was this group of 6-10 members at 2 other forums who suddenly all swore "Tone is all in your fingers" - they even had signature lines stating these types of things - but it was all triggered off by lil ol' me somehow or another --
    So that was my fatal mistake choosing - "my fighting them off" and throwing some sneak attacks back there way -- another mistake was Dog Fighting with 1 person from another pup-makers crew - but that maker and the dude - were all now friends and meet up at Jams and shows...

I dare to say that Some people need to leave Ol' "Santa" alone he does not go to the beach in the dead of summer and surf dressed like Santa and go to bed dressed like Santa 24/7 365-- and try and realize that as much as we sometimes all would like to think - that in reality our little 8-digits/ fingers can never compensate for speaker's & pickup ohms - wind patterns - magnets -etc.. and that some tech out there sometimes likes to switch to "out of phase sounds" on speakers around at the back of the amp - this during during sessions -- Ala - Roy Buchanan's 2nd. Album,, Roy then did this to Backline amps at times to and to his own. it cancels the bass - that tip just came in last week here - it was the final key in that sound that I have chased for 6 years now.

So I was targeted / taunted / stalked / and because I fought back I made it all the more fun,,
    their comments are useless here - cause I don't hate none of em -- were all fellow pickers - and were all musicians with lots of creative genes and emotions that normal folks don't have - for that were blessed and should rally round one another in full support - not pick & fight among one another -
    I have apologized to them all I may have offended OVER 2 years ago - but sometimes today they will still post hurtful things.. NOT over HERE -- but elsewhere - so yes -You will see this come up - but you will not see these things posted here -- its at other places, because here its just TOO COOL --
    I should have just stayed here all along.. LOL..

so thats the story -- along with some parts I cannot tell - cause if I did it would cause you to hate the person _ and I'm not into that at all..

support your local musician -- even if ya think hes loco! LOL
    Don Mare

16. Dollar

Dollar Member

I was a strat player for a long time and just recently bought my first tele ( Thin Skin 52 ri from Wildwood) I got my set of 2324's from Don yesterday and my initial impressions are very positive. I Can't compare them to other tele pickups from other winders but from my previous experience tasting the many flavors of strat pickups over the years, I can safely say that these are very special pickups.

Because of my background with strats one of the first things that popped into my head while I was getting aquainted with them is "Wow, I wonder what his Strat pickups sound like".

Great guy to talk to and deal with as well.

Thanks Don,

Scott

17. DonM

DonM Member

LOL!!!

I dressed like Roy Buchanan when I gigged -

The local Beatles tibutes dress like the Beatles

So does the Stones Tribute
    and the Doors tribute

and our Elvis tributes..

so I dressed and looked like Roy so the show was more of a portrait of Roy..

and theres guys(musicians) who hate all tributes --

so in all the defense of tribute artist taking a bashing over being sick for doing what they all do -- I came up with the "Mall Santa" comparison - so we can all clearly see how unfair it is to accuse these tribute artist/people of being warped in the head..sick etc etc.. or actually think they dress like that and act like someone else 24/7 ( as I was accused and hated - slandered..etc --especially for something I did not actually do in real life ) - along with thinking that they all go out in public 24/7 as someone else IE "Mall Santa" LOL..

hope that clears it up?
    hehe
    Don

18. KHAN

KHAN Member

19. jamison162

jamison162 Member

You've got to be kidding me!!!!! That's Don isn't it?
    I'm rolling..................:rotflmao

20. jamison162

jamison162 Member