Don Mare wound a killer vintage sounding humbucker today!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by straightblues, Apr 1, 2015.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

I went to visit Don Mare today. I didn't know but he ahs been working on a new humbucker pickup design. He was just using some old epiphone humbucker chassis and some Alnico 4 magnets to do testing with. He is using his Rosie wrap design and some other special stuff to do the winding. He just would up a bridge pickup and put it in his Greco Super Real Les Paul. This one was just over 9K. Man listening to it I felt like I was a a 70's rock concert. They got the ghost notes and crack I associate with that period which so many other humbuckers on the market fail to capture. All of those tones from those 70's artists like Led Zep, ZZ Top, and Free. Very cool stuff. If this early pickups is any indication, Don Mare will be winding great humbucker pickups to go along with the single coil stuff he is known for. Hope he ends up going into production on them, I want a set bad.

2. Seektone

Seektone Member

Nice! Can't wait....

3. lpnv59

lpnv59 Member

A very talented pickup winder. Looking forward to his take is on PAF's.

4. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Damn! I just put new pickups in an HSS Strat. I used a Josie/Vaughn set for the neck and middle and an Amber 59 Crosspoint humbucker for the bridge. I would have loved to use one of his humbuckers in bridge position.

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yup, Don has an ear for that "old tone" and knew exactly the tone I was trying to describe when I was seeking a mid 60's Strat sound. Good luck with the humbucker.

6. straightblues

straightblues Member

Well, like I said, I am not sure if they will ever come out so I wouldn't hold your breath. But I bet if enough of us pushed him, he might bring them to market.

All those 70's rock dudes used the early PAF stuff and sought out the over-wound ones. These thing really got that tone. I was shocked, especially when I looked at the test pickup and it was on a simple Epiphone chassis. I am not sure how he did it, but he is on to something.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

i just saw the humbuckers listed on Don's website. Looks like he is going to wind a few. Hopefully he will post some clips pretty quick so you guys can hear them.