Don Mare Zep-O-Tones???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rubbersoul, Jun 12, 2008.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Anyone here use these pickups...the clips on his website sound pretty darn close to Zeppelin 1...a sound I wouldn't mind having.

Looking at the possiblity of new pickups for my tele and these are at the top of my short list.

Just curious if anyone has tried them...I did a search but couldn't find a thread about these in particular.

Cheers.

2. opdev

opdev Member

Too tired but I have a great Mare story. I am a convert. They rule!!!!!!!

3. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Don Mare Junior Watson replicas in my Stratocaster. Made the EJ good to great. I will use his pickups when I get a Telecaster.

4. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

I think you can proceed with confidence. I don't know that set, but Don's work completely rocks.

5. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Definitely a Don Mare believer after receiving a guitar with his Broadcaster set in it this week. Damn, those are some musical pickups.

6. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Don Mare makes excellent pickups. However, the sound on LZ 1 was a combination of pickups, amps and recording techniques. Don's PU's will get you a part of the package but not all of it. A Supro amp and hours spent in a studio experimenting with different microphones and their placement will get you even closer to the sound.

7. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Wow...thanks for the input guys! I'd say that was full-on approval of Mare's product, no matter what it is.

Cheers.

8. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Super sports for me, they are fantastic in my Baja.

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Dunno which one I have in my esquire, but it's badass.

10. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Looks like all his pick ups are alnico-5 magnets. Ive never really cared for 5- magnets i much prefer the alnico-3 magnets. Maybe i just never got a good pickup. I might have to try one and put it up against my holy grail alnico-3. The zep pickup does have me interested though.

11. oscar100

oscar100 Member

xcept jim wagner!!!!:FM:nono

12. DonM

DonM Member

Yep we have 3's and 5's

just depends on the customers request / IE. era of Fender History they seek

The 2324 set is 3's neck and Bridge..

all the field test where we put a 3 vs. 5 the 5's win - the customers claim the the 5's have more voice -

but 3's are very cool - I actually use 3's myself -

caution is using 3's in the higher DC pups that need more magnet power - these can sound mushy if 3's are used. -- the lower DC's 6k's seem to do much better on 3's -

however if we did a vote here - using two 6k pups 1-with 3's & 1-with 5's the 5's would get the most votes..

Full gauss on III's is about 625
    Full gauss on V's is about 1200

usually the 5's sound best at 1000 gauss
    and the 3's at full 625

hope this explains it?

And -- thanks fellows!

13. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Thanks for the rundown don. I need to give the A-5s another try then.

14. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

15. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

It is so refreshing to see data on magnet alloy and measured strength! So often ignored and not understood. I wish the measured strengths of pickup magnets was as known as the ubiquitous and not comprehensive but always bandied, coil resistance. The pickups Dana O. got from you are magnifico! Great work!

16. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have heard them and played them at Don's house. Yes, they nail that early Zepplin tone. Don has great ears and the winding talent to really nail specific tones.

I would agree with michael30, the equation does require a certain amp or amp setting and a soul bender or whatever. However, Don's Zep-O-Tones will make your new guitar sound as close to Jimmy's guitar as possible and that is where you need to start.

17. soulohio

soulohio Member

why don't Don make some humbuckers for us le paul affishianados?

18. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Don's the best there is for Tele winds and he concentrated all his energies on years of research and practical experience on what the difference is between a great Fender wind and an unbelivably special wind. Fanatacle in his pursuit he unwound them to study the patterns and to look for the small differences like how the potting lay in the wind where it is thick or thin and which caps where used and a whole lot more.

He doesn't run a factory but makes his work a labour of love and concentrates his energy there.

I recommend Peter Florance's VooDoo 59's for Humbuckers I have 9 of his different pups om several different guitars.

Rubbersoul Don will set you right with the JP thing I believe the man can do no wrong

BTW I saw Led Zep about(i counted)17 times just in the spring/summer of 68 Led Zep II came out in October 68

19. soulohio

soulohio Member

WOWEE! that is cool man! i wanna buy you some beers!

20. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Don't know about Zep tones...but the '64 "Josie" pickups Don wound for my Strat sound so good they should be illegal!! Punchy, clear, focused, and round without a hint of mud or ice pick...what more could a Strat-o-nut want? My first facial expression after installing Don's pickups and playing 3 notes: :eek:. To my ears it don't get no better. Keep up the great tone-work Don, the guitar world needs more guys like you who are more passionate about tone than a bank account!!!