Done with George Ls

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shiny_Beast, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I keep having to reclamp\retrim the 2 footer that goes form my last pedal to the amp. I can't imagine using one of these as a guitar chord. Maybe it's because a;; mine are right angle plugs.

I'm keeping the short ones on my board until I get sick of them, but I'm getting tired of finding a bad connection every once in a while. Maybe I should up the ante on how I put these together, but I can't see really doing any better of a job of it.

I think they sound fine.

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

planet waves is a great replacement
    i hated my george l cables

3. wallinbb

wallinbb Member

For me, George L's sounded great. It's just that one of the 14 I use would fail at least every other week. They kept coming loose. I bought a multimeter at Radio Shack just to be able to test my George L's. :bitch

I bought Lava Cables, and have never looked back. Sell your George L's to fund your Lava cable purchase. Oh, and get them from fellow TGP'er 'relix63.'
    :dude

4. jchan

jchan Member

Not only do they completely fail, but I found that my tone was bad one time and wiggling the cable changed the high end. I found them completely unreliable. Yes, I did connect them properly and tighten them down. I would not recommend them.

5. rah3

rah3 Member

I have used Bill Lawrence/George L cables since the early 80's. I love these cables, but do not like the right angle connectors. If you don't cut, get your small screwdrivers out and do the right thing and use the straight connectors then you're a wimp or lazy!!!!

-RAH3

6. buckkillr8

buckkillr8 Member

Evidence Audio monorail :dude

7. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

maybe an option could be to buy some ends and solder the cables? since you got the cable already and you seem to like the sound enough?

:beer

8. ToneSter

ToneSter Silver Supporting Member

30 miles s/w to the exact center of California
    I will 2nd that!

none of G-L's connector's are worth a crap, I use only the cable and solder the connector's

9. MERCYFULFATE

MERCYFULFATE Member

that may not have been your cable. it sounds like a jack to me. you may want to re check that.

10. strat56

strat56 Supporting Member

+1 I've been using Planet waves for a couple years with no issues.

11. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

had the same problem and was royally flamed here for posting my experience...

12. Snowdog74

Snowdog74 Member

Nothing beats solder , sure the others will work but they do fail a lot more often than soldered connections.

A while back in Guitar Player's how to build a pedalboard issue all the big name rig builders that were in that issue...Cornish , Bradshaw and Friedman all said the same thing , that soldered is the best way to go.

13. belikerick

belikerick Member

If you're done with them, can I have your George L's?!?!

I'll pay for shipping - PM me

14. bennintexas

bennintexas Member

how do you cut these properly? i have two that arent working correctly anymore, tried cutting them 3 different ways and no luck.

15. LuckyBlackCat

LuckyBlackCat Member

Use a sharp utility knife and cut firmly straight down. I put mine on top of a small wood block to do it and never have any issues with fraying or not cutting all the way through cleanly.

16. bseamus

bseamus Member

Planet Waves have served me well without failure for 2 years.

17. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

GL's gave me a ton of problems too. I had Mark at LavaCables make me some ELC's and I haven't looked back. GL's and their ability to "easily adjust" seemed so attractive until I had them on my board and had my highs come and go as they pleased with a little movement. God, I hated diagnosing those problems. Lava FTW.

18. FXMonkey

FXMonkey Member

Interesting to read about the issues with the George L's ...I was thinking of giving them a try, but I may take a pass now..

19. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

I have 50' or more of cable and both straight and angle connectors. I have been using both cable and connectors for pedals and guitar with zero issues.

20. dan-electro

dan-electro Supporting Member

I might be biased b/c I got a huge G L's kit used on the cheap, but I've been happy with them. If you try to cram / bend straight connectors in close proximity on a board you might have issues... but using the right angle plugs and intelligent cable lengths (and clean cuts) have given me no problems for 3+ years. I haven't tried Lava though, but hear great things. If you can get a used lot of G L's from a jaded or upgraded TGP'er, save your loot and go for it!