Donna Lee jazz practice session on a Cruise Ship

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by AlexPrice, Mar 20, 2020.

1. AlexPrice

AlexPrice Member

I recorded this video while I was working on the Cunard Queen Mary 2 earlier this year and I had uploaded it to YouTube privately. I forgot about it until I got a notification that it had been made public just now.

Oddly enough, today is exactly a month since I've left the ship and I could not be happier to be home. Two days ago, I heard that the company FINALLY cancelled the world cruise it was on. During my final month onboard, we had skipped directly from Dubia, then to Sri Lanka, and finally to Australia. Only 3 days in port over the course of 17 days due to the evolving Corona virus situation in Asia at the time.

We had originally planned to visit Vietnam, Thailand, Hong Kong, and Singapore but instead skipped them all and I ended up flying home from Australia at a substantial cost to myself. This was filmed during my last couple days on board as I prepared for graduate school auditions once I got home. I'm glad to be done with cruise ships and I'm hoping life returns to normal as soon as possible.

All the best to you and your families during this crisis. Stay safe.

2. 6Tones

6Tones Member

Sweet playing. What amp did you use on the Cruise ship or run direct?

3. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Solid playing as always, Alex.

Donna Lee sounds danged good played on a strat.

5. AlexPrice

AlexPrice Member

Thank you all. In the theater where I worked 90% of the time, I was just using the Line 6 HX Stomp to run direct. We need to keep it quiet on stage for the singers and running direct just makes sense in a context where the entire band is wired in with in-ears. The amp tone in this video is coming from the HX Stomp.

The other 10% of my work schedule was spent in the dance venue playing through an 80's Roland Jazz Chorus. I LOVE those amps. Like a lot. This amp tone that I designed in the Helix software was based loosely around that experience.

6Tones likes this.
  6. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

7. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Great playing and great tone. Makes me want to buy a stomp