• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Don't believe the hype

Lewis909

So I finally went into a music store to try out a number of overdrive pedals which I've been interested in.

Boss BD-2w
Wampler Tumnus Delux
Archer
MXR Timmy
ED Westwood

After a good hour of testing A/Bing etc I walked away with the the Boss.

I get that we get excited and tempted by youtuber demoes but we should really be going into shops testing things out before claiming what is best etc.

For my needs the BD-2W was best.

TLDR; go and test things out for yourself don't go on what you've seen on YouTube etc. Also many of those videos have processed the audio so you ain't getting a proper review.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
those are all really fine & serviceable pedals. hype is the nomenclature used and it's often fairly useless but guitar players like adjectives, so the truth is much harder to find.

Baskervils

So I finally went into a music store to try out a number of overdrive pedals which I've been interested in.

Boss BD-2w
Wampler Tumnus Delux
Archer
MXR Timmy
ED Westwood

I get that we get excited and tempted by youtuber demoes but we should really be going into shops testing things out before claiming what is best etc.

TLDR; go and test things out for yourself don't go on what you've seen on YouTube etc. Also many of those videos have processed the audio so you ain't getting a proper review.
What you are saying makes sense, especially with a pedal that you may want to dial in with subtlety. I hate guitar shops and YouTube videos have limitations. Luckily, you can buy and resell on Reverb with very little loss if you get a good deal to begin with.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member

Boss BD-2w
Wampler Tumnus Delux
Archer
MXR Timmy
ED Westwood

Much like you, I choose to test pedals before buying when possible. Also like you, I like what I like. Can we start a club?

LaXu

The question is "What is that pedal plugged into?" For example a Tube Screamer can sound great, but if the amp or guitar is very midrangy already then it can sound honky while say a Klon might be just right.

So what I am reading here is that you went to try a bunch of pedals and with the setup you used, the Boss sounded the best to you. That doesn't really take anything away from the fancier units because they might sound the best with a different setup.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I think the word "hype" tends to be click-baity, and is going to cause a lot of kickback here. If that's intention, good on you!

If you actually wanted to discuss the fact that the BD2w works better for you, a less emotional word might have worked. I'd argue that there isn't any hype for the MXR Timmy, for example. It's a way to easily afford an excellent overdrive which works really well in some cases. I guess there is some hype for Klons, but the Tumnus isn't really an emotional pedal. A good one, but not one people get worked up about. EQD Westwood? They build good stuff, but no one is hyping this. You tried a number of different "soft clipping" overdrives from different families and prefer the BD. That probably puts you in a bit of a minority but that's OK, be you.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
After a good hour of testing A/Bing etc I walked away with the the Boss.For my needs the BD-2W was best.

Yes that my pet peeve with Pedal Demos on YouTube - processing - what's the point - good that you found what works for you.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Well... nobody is saying the Boss Blues Drivers are not awesome. They're usually one of the first recommended pedals around here in some form or another so I'd say that the BD-2 is just as hyped and more well known than the rest.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom