Don’t boot me from TGP - I’m thinking of removing boutique PAFs and goi g to Duncans

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mpcoluv, May 24, 2020.

1. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

I don't get the idea that Duncans aren't booteek enough to be good. He was the OG boutique pickup winder, right? Do his products suck now because he was good enough at it that his business got big?

2. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

quoted for inacurracy; there's zero wrong with duncans.
    plenty of your fav musicians have used them.

3. shane8

shane8 Member

he was joking

now i'm gonna suggest the OP puts the stock pu back in

if they were made in the last decade they'll be fine

:banana

joke or not ??

:p

zwiefldraader likes this.
  4. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Whatever works. If you know you like a certain pickup then go for it - even if it's stock.

5. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Duncans have worked fine for me. No drama, lots of helpful info in the Duncan site.

David Garner likes this.
  6. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

I'm sorry but the law is you can only go more boutique not less. You can put ThroBaks in but if you go to Duncans you will be sentenced to 10 years of Mustang Sally without parole.

m_b, shane8 and David Garner like this.
  7. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Happy with my Antiquities

8. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

My favorite pickups were made by a dude I met through another forum. He was up in Va., and did really good stuff, but he was super low volume—hobbyist level—and decided to steal his nights and weekends back.

Since he shut down, I’ve used Duncans and DiMarzios and in each case, I got EXACTLY what I was trying to find.

Duncan is the OG and his catalog is deep and full of magic, and let’s not forget they’ll custom wind anything you can dream up.

Stratburst70 and David Garner like this.
  9. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

the standard SD pearly gate is the best bridge humbucker ive played

BADHAK, teletalkin and David Garner like this.
  10. ezra1

ezra1 Member

I am not a Duncan guy..and not because I don't like him.
    I like small winders....I have Lollar, WCR, Sigil, ReWind, Tom Brantley , D'Urbano , Van Zandt, Nordstrom, Geppetto, Cavalier.
    But, I have no complaints with the Duncan 59 and JB. I also got some Fender Custom Shop & DiMarzio bass pups.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  11. nac

nac Supporting Member

I have a couple sets of SD's that I really like. My only issue with them is the logo on the uncovered stuff. It comes off easily enough or if you're more patient than me, you can order them without.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    EL34 and David Garner like this.
  12. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

If your pickups don't cost as much as your guitar, you just don't care about your tone. :waiting

13. korus

korus Member

Once metal parts are made of proper alloys, 2 or 22 or 222 PAF type pickups differ only in nuances.

Seymour Duncan PAF like pickups have small to no coil mismatch in same pickup. If your guitar sounds shrill and thin in bridge position to yoy, you will prefer Duncan to any boutique, cause no mismatch makes the tone darker.

But if your neck postion sounds muddy to you, any boutique will sound better than any Duncan PAF like cause boutique PAF type pickups have greater mismatch of coils and that makes them sound brighter.

Simple. Predictable. Without wasting money, time and effort and then calling it fun or learning curve.

note: Any PAF type will sound exactly like PAF in otherwise stock pre mid '60s guitar. Any post mid '60s made guitar with best original PAFs will not sound like stock originals, it will be brighter and thinner. It ain't in pickups. You know now.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  14. homeunit

homeunit Supporting Member

I’ve always got on well with Duncan’s, Dimarzio is a different story for me.

lemonman and David Garner like this.
  15. shane8

shane8 Member

another vote 4 toan is in the wallet

bad toan? you're not spending enough

they need to be a custom order with a 2 year wait time & cost @ least $500 per
    qft :eek:

~ss

16. jallen

jallen Silver Supporting Member

I’ve got an old Duncan Custom in a single hum guitar that I wouldn’t think about taking out. They make some great pickups!

17. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

The Pearly Gates in my 06 Faded LP Special sound great.

David Garner likes this.
  18. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

Incorrect. Do you even have a Carr amp? Otherwise you only have passable tone.

:banana

shane8 and supersoldier71 like this.
  19. sunburst79

sunburst79 Member

I’m a big Antiquities fan for PAF styles. I’ve actually never bought any of his singles that I can remember.

If you started playing in the late seventies or early eighties SD’s ads were a treasure trove of actual information. Long before there was boutique there was Seymour. He wasn’t the only player in the replacement pickup market but out of all of them he definitely seemed the most interested in reverse engineering old pickups and duplicating them. It seemed to be his passion or calling in life. You always had the impression he had a huge amount of respect for old stuff while also pushing what could be done with new designs. He’s been very successful but I’ve always gotten the impression he would be happiest just winding stuff or punching out flatwork. He’s not the only guy in town nor was he back then. You had Bill Lawrence who has his own take on what makes a pickup great. Larry Dimarzio. Tom Holmes. Bartolini. Lindy Fralin was a couple of years in the future. EMG’s where pretty new and while I would not call them boutique they were another popular upgrade option. It was a much smaller world.

Out of all these guys Seymour seemed to have the best read on what Vintage actually was. And tooled for that market along with the modern replacement market. SD seemed to have users vs endorsees.

I’d not personally classify his original designs boutique as much as I would replacement or upgrades. But if you needed someone to scratch build you a replacement pickup for a 1950’s Fender Steel guitar or wanted your Charlie Christianson pickup rewound Seymour was your dude. It wasn’t about packing as much wire on the bobbins as possible most of the time but careful matching of materials in order to influence the tone. He’s the first winder I know to deliberately degauss magnets in order to emulate a old pickup.

Now we have a plethora of tiny Boutique winders. Some quite respected in their own rights. And each has their own read on great tone and design philosophy. Choices are good.

With the advent of readily available compact winders now anyone with a bobbin and a spool of wire can call themselves “Boutique” so we have that angle now. I suspect more than a few of these guys know more about setting up a great website than they do winding....

Seymour has a decade or two on nearly everyone when it comes to actual boutique pickups. If we are using boutique to mean painstaking crafted vintage replica pickups or custom wound stuff. Anyone that’s used the SD Custom shop soon comes to the conclusion they are all very capable winders.

The regular production stuff and the vintage reproduction stuff are remarkably consistent. If you liked a JB in the eighties chances are you’ll like one from the 20’s assuming your taste is the same.

Many of the models have had staying power and are now classics in their own rights like the Pearly Gates. And sometimes knowing what your buying beats the flavor of the month.

I do fall in the camp of liking the pickups without logos and while I totally get why you would want the brand your product to build brand awareness I could do without the logo.

I could possibly make the argument that the off shore wound Duncan Designed pickups may have diluted the brand slightly but my understanding here is that these are built under license or where consulted on. But using them on lower end and midrange imports doesn’t exactly prop up the image of the USA made production and SD Custom Shop stuff. It’s hard to be boutique when your brand has been licensed to upper range Squiers. Yet in the bigger picture the Duncan Designed pickups are probably better than they would be otherwise. There are definite design goals and quality controls that need to be met.

Last but not least is this mental image people have of One Man One Machine One Pickup. Meaning if the person winding the pickup isn’t still working in candlelight long after dark in his solitary workshop winding your pickup and your pickup alone somehow the mojo is not there.

Gibson and Fender and everyone else back in the day cranked out hundreds of pickups per day with no thought whatsoever given to mojo or qualify control. If those parts bins weren’t full by lunch the afternoon shift ran out of pickups. So Abigail and Gladys and whoever was winding cranked out bobbins just as fast as they could.

Just a little perspective on how the “Magic” happened. Nobody cared ;)

Seymour has always made great pickups for every niche. The quality control was consistent. If you want something a little different the custom shop is happy to oblige. And then you have that one on one build going on.

SD is now one of many and there are many great winders out there. Any just as many interpretations as to what great is. What IS great though is when the right pickups land in the right piece of wood. That’s the magic.

The name on the box or the eyes should not influence the ears.

That said I’m a Seymour fan from way back. The pickups have always matched the catalog description.

So slam that amp with what your ears want to hear and don’t worry about the name on the box.

Your Dentist is really only thinking about the fact your bill will help buy another Collings ;)

20. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

The original 1999 Epi pickups are pretty awful. The Rewinds are good, just not what I hear in my head.
    In the late 80s I had a PG bridge pup That I loved. I’m trying it again. I even found a mid 80s PG for the experiment. I believe the PG coils are mis matched BTW.

David Garner likes this.